We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

northamptonshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

We will be staying at the Voyager last week in July and first week of August and we will be visiting the lioness cubs orphanage at Kikambala, stopping off at the market to buy fruit veg and pulses for them. Would anyone be interested in coming with us. We will be going with Monicah in her taxi, as we did last year. The children are wonderful and made us so welcome.

Sawbridgeworth
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Just got back yesterday - did visit Lioness cubs twice!!.

We picked up some stuff in UK from a list that Edna supplied and took a holdall full of goodies - the kids loved them. Margaret and Jean are doing a grand job. Dixon slipped a note into my wifes hand that requested a Nintendo!! We returned the next day afetr asking the kids what they wanted to eat - it was chicken/ meat and CHIPS!!! So we asked Edna's taXI pal Frances to take us to the local butchers and picked up 3 chix, 5 kg of potatos, 3 litres of oil, two bots of tomatao sauce and a huge cabbage, too and took it to them arounf 5 p.m. - Margeret was just beginning to cook the evening meal - the dinner changed from Umunji (sp??!!) to what we had brought for them - the kids were sooooooo happy

northamptonshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

So glad you were able to make the kids happy. I have never forgotten the lovely time we had with them - especially all our attempts with the yo yos we gave them and our storytelling sessions. Looking forward to our visit this year,

West Sussex
Level Contributor
828 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

In September I will be going to visit the orphanage. I cant wait to see the progress they are making with the new home that Edna has been telling me about. Its great to think that they will be able to offer a home to so many more children once it is finished.

It really feels like the visit is going to be a highlight of our holiday.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Hi

My trip to Kenya is a long way off (March 2011!) but when I go I would love to take some stuff over to the orphanage.

I am flying premium so I get a bigger allowance plus I'm getting married over there so I get an extra suitcase.

Where would I get a list from of what to take over?

I am staying in Voyager also.

Thanks

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Hi,

Drop Drakesdrum a pm - she is currently here sorting some things out at the Lionesses Orphanage but she'll get back to you when she can

Edit -,just realised that ArjS said they have the list from Edna

Edited: 23 February 2010, 15:23
milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Ha ha to many Tuskers Paul. We all hope to see you Friday for a farewell x

northamptonshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Drakesdrum gave me a shopping list plus the phone no of a lady taxi driver who took us to the supermarket, butcher and the fruit and veg market. That was good felt like the real Kenya. I also took packet custard powder and hot chocolate that you added boiling water, as milk seems so expensive. I took oxo cubes in various flavours, packet soups, noodles, packs of undies (Primark packs of 10 were a bargain), sanitary towels for the older girls and a couple of cotton nighties, some story books, yo yos, small teddy bears and a few sweet treats too. I have collected all of the same again plus a few pretty hair clips and asda did a good line in t shirts and shorts. I have put a little bit by every month so it all adds up. Just wish Thomas Cook was a bit more generous with the luggage allowance. Wanted £73.00 to up it to 20kg for the two of us. I gave the two lovely ladies at the orphanage sewing sets and packs of pretty soap for themselves. I cannot wait to see the children again. I certainly hope you enjoy your visit to the Lioness Cubs.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
northamptonshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Forgot to say - what a lovely place to get married. The staff at the Voyager will make it so special.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
828 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

Wow Cleokat, how did you manage to take so much!? I have bought some clothes and small toys which dont look like much and already I have 7kg of stuff (which is part of the charity allowance of 10kg). Did you actually manage to take any clothes for yourself? lol

northamptonshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Orphanage from The Voyager

It was jolly hard packing so few clothes, believe me! My husband takes next to nothing so most went in his suitcase, and I have to admit we were over our luggage limit. Did talk to the lady at check in as I was so excited and mentioned the orphanage trip, maybe we were just lucky as at the next check in 2 young girls were unpacking their cases to make them lighter!!