We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarind Dhow

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarind Dhow

We've seen on the First Choice website one of their excursions for the Tamarind Dhow. The excursion includes a 5 course meal and transport to and from our hotel in Bamburi beach, all for £94 for the two of us.

We were going to visit The Tamarind Restaurant as a special occasion anyway, but this excursion sounds really nice and is good value in our view, especially as transport is included.

Has anyone dined on the Dhow and what are your thoughts on the price of this excursion. Is it worth it or should we stay with the restaurant itself and arrange our own taxi.

Thanks for any input.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarind Dhow

If you are visiting the restaurant then don't bother with the dhow trip as the food choice on the dhow is very limited. The restaurant is a great dining experience with top quality food and service to match.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarind Dhow

I am with Bruce on this.

In my opinion the Dhow is hot and cramped and the food just okay.

The restaurant is expensive but the food and service is excellent and justifies the price particularly if it is a special occasion.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarind Dhow

Sorry, guys, but I'm going to disagree with you on this (shock, horror!!) I like dining on the dhow, it's not cramped and hot, in fact, it's lovely dining with a breeze on your face. The food is a choice of two really, bbq steak with the trimmings and a seafood platter which is quite varied. You dine to the tunes of a live band and the service is very good. A cocktail to welcome you on board, then you have a lazy lunch.

Of course, this is only my opinion but I feel that if visitors to Kenya haven't experienced it, then they should do it at least once. The nicest part about it was the lovely breeze, the views and the laid back approach. Much rather be sailing than sat in a stuffy over priced restaurant!

I think th eprice is quite reasonable, considering it includes transport to and from Bamburi Beach.

Go for it!

(sorry guys - I still love ya!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarind Dhow

Min,

When we went on the Dhow we went allowed to choose where to sit and had to join a table with others decked in their finest football tops. The sailing part of the trip was along to Fort Jesus turn around and moor up. I wasn't at all impressed.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarind Dhow

Min

Of course your entitled to your opinion - even if it is wrong (lol).

As with Bruce we were sat with others and there was no breeze.

Each to their own.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarind Dhow

we went on the Dhow trip on our first visit to kenya and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was good with a good band playing african music and good views cruising round mombasa harbour. We also visited fort jesus and the old town with very interesting antique shops. so yes it is certainly worth doing and the price sounds about right.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarind Dhow

Bruce & Bob

We had our own table - must have been my charming wit and personality!! LOL

BTw - we went at lunchtime, sailed up the creek, around it and came back. Didn't set down at all.

Min x

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarind Dhow

Would have loved to go on the Dhow but get seasick so I opted for a meal at the restaurant and as other posts say expensive but well worth the experience.The service was exceptional

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarind Dhow

Hi Min

Don't know about Bruce but we went in the evening ans so couldn't see much anyway.

As regards your private table - it couldn't be because you are a messy eater or was it because your argumentative (lol)

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tamarind Dhow

We also did the evening trip, so I suppose we are comparing chalk and cheese and I would expect the lunch trip is a completely different experience