We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts

Sorry to post questions asked by others. I am visiting Neptune Palm Beach resort with my husband and son next week. The question is what gifts to take. We are planning to visit a school and have heard lots of mixed messages regarding gifts. Do we take pens, pencils etc or would footballs be more appreciated? Also we have some clothes that do not fit anymore sizes 8 - 10 and age 6-9. Would these be of any use? Don't want to carry them if it would be a waste of time. Please help and if possible advise me of the best place to visit and how to get there. Thanks in advance.

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts

hi jobabe every thing you have mentioned will be most welcome

they never can have enough, and they will love footballs.

so they dont take up room in the case you can get a pump to blow the balls up in the nakumatt.

hope that helped rhys

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts

forgot to add if you go to F.A.Q on the top of the page on the right you will find all the schools and orphanage.

rhys

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts

Take the clothes if you feel you must, but it is cheaper and better for Kenya if you buy the school supplies and footballs locally. That way you are helping the local economy as well as doing good for the school. Saves weight and space as well. All can be had at the local Nakumatt.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts

Thanks for the replies. The last reply sounds like it is a bad thing to take clothes. I am happy to buy the stuff whilst in Kenya but how do prices compare to the uk? I can get 5 footballs for £10.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts

Providing the clothes are in reasonable condition they will be most welcome. If you don't take it to an orphanage you can give it to the Hotel staff etc and they will really appreciate it..

Our last holiday we stayed in a small hotel and left a bag of goodies for the Hotel staff including clothes, hats, pens etc and they were all excited when we gave it to them.

When we went to Bali a few years ago we had the Beach Sellers asking us for old clothes as they were used to being given clothes.

Good luck

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts

Were off again !!!!

YES -everything is better to buy locally , but many many tourists coming to Kenya like to pack a few bits before hand. Why leave behind for the bin man really nice clothing when you can give it to someone needy and spend your extra money on FOOD .... pack what you like - it is needed and will be greatly appreciated ....

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts

About footballs, we get ours from a local man who makes them by hand. They are good quality (leather) and guaranteed for a year. However, they cost about GBP 11 each.

Clothes are always welcome. Don't bother to bring paper (ie exercise books etc). That is easy to get here, as are all school supplies, and very heavy to carry.

Support the local economy here as much as you can, but also bring what you can. If you are able to buy things here, food is most necessary - there is a lot of very helpful information on this site about what to get and what not to get! Also get soap - you can buy wholesale boxes of bar soap which are then cut up into pieces. This can be used for both bathing and washing clothes.

There was a wonderful post by Drakes Drum "Food, glorious food...." Parts 1 and 2. That gives a lot of very helpful ideas.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 13:51
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts

Thank you all for all the help and information. I am starting to pack now. We fly on Sunday and are very excited.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts

Sorry for the tone of my first post. I was in a hurry. The issue of taking clothes is this. There is a huge secondary market of used clothes in Africa. Often times you can find the most remarkable items in the clothes stalls. For instance, I have found T-shirts of the losing World Series baseball teams from the USA claiming that they won. Of course, these shirts were all printed up anticipating that a particular team would win, and when they lost they were worthless in the USA, so they were sold to a wholessaler who then moved them to Africa. This happens a lot with used and overstock clothing from all around the world.

If you have the room in your luggage and feel it is worth taking, then by all means take the clothing. It will be appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts

xbioman - thanks for taking the time to reply again. My son has several football shirts that no longer fit him so yes I do think it is worth taking them. We have taken all the advice given and have packed a few gifts along with the tops but plan to buy some food when we arrive. Thanks again to everyone. I will let you know how we get on.