We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kirkcaldy, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Hi,

Me and my better half are going to Shanzu, north of Mombasa next year. Just read what the foreign office has to say about kenya, and it dosn't paint a good picture. So just want to hear from your own personal experiences on safety/security issues, and what tips you may have. Thanks

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

hi big Al i know where your coming from im going with my husband mother in law and 14yr old son in July and i am really worried about this almost cancelled a couple of weeks ago. Therefore very interested in what responses you get.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

I recently returned from 6 weeks in Kenya. I had no reason to feel any more unsafe than any where else in the world. Not matter where I go I take the usual precautions... I don't carry excess money or flash it around. leave my gold jewllery at home. At night I use a taxi when I go out. Pleae don't cancel or you will miss a holiday of a life time. I have been almost 40 times including after the elections 2 years ago. I have been welcomed each time with smiles hand shakes and kindness.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Fully agree with danbry.

Was there for a month in January. Just be sensible.

Feel safer in Kenya than most parts of London.

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

would whole heartly agree with danbury have been going to kenya since 1991 and have never had a problem. we were also there when the elections were on. my wife will go of on her own for a walk along the the beach be gone for 2hrs and i don,t even have to worry. like danbury said take precautions, its like citys and towns all over the world, but please don,t cancell you will miss a wonderful country and experience

Kirkcaldy, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Hey,

thanks for all the replys. I really cant wait to go there. Just wanted to make sure that we would be safe.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Don't forget to come back to TA and tell us all about your trip

Danielle

Mombasa
Level Contributor
146 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

The FO always have something to say about Kenya...and everywhere else in teh world if you check it out.. I have not noticed anything new to be 'scared' about ! Nothings changed. Come on down!!

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

It is very reassuring to hear all your comments. Thank-you

9. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 07:15