We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Working

I want to go and settle in Ukunda in Mombasa and would like any information on working out there. I am a learning support assistant and would love to work in a school there. Any ideas folks.

Shirley

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working

It is my understanding that in order to get a working visa you have to be applying for a job that a Kenyan can not fill. I do know expats there in high positions but their wives can not work. An expert may correct me on this. Perhaps ask advise from the Kenya High Commission.

Danielle

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working

As Danielle says its very difficult to get a working visa in Kenya, you have to apply for a H permit which costs about £3k /£5K for two years and is not easy to get, you have to supply bank statements and have a considerable amount of money on deposit in a Kenyan bank (£50K +) before they will consider issuing one, this is what we have been told, cannot be sure it is gospel as with everything in Kenya it is a very grey area and no-one can give the exact requirements but we have known people on the North Coast working without a permit that have been approached by the immigration department and had a pay a very sizeable "kitu kidogo" or be threatened with a spell in Shimo le Tewa (prison just before Mtwapa bridge) and don't think that would be an option any mzungus would choose.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Working

Jambo,

just to confirm what Mary has said re work permit. It is difficult and you need

good connections to obtain one.I've got mine and believe me it was a struggle but if you are determined send me a PN and i can see whether i can help you further.

Safari njema,

Chuchu

4. Re: Working

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 06:34