We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
exeter
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

We are travelling to Kenya via Addis Ababba with Ethiopian airways and am in the process of deciding on vaccinations. Having looked at the forums I was deciding against yellow fever, but then read that it's a requirement for Ethiopia. As we will be in transit only and we're not leaving the airport , I wonder if anyone can help answer this question will we require the jabs.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

According to the WHO, a YF certificate is required if you are coming from a country where it is endemic. Kenya is listed as one of those countries. However, as a transit passenger, if you do not have a certificate, they may merely detain you in the airport precincts until you commence onward travel.

See page no 206 on this document http://www.who.int/ith/ITH2010countrylist.pdf

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Hi as a general rule transitting through a hub like Addis there is no requirment for a YF PROVIDED you remain within the airport building./imediate vicinity What immigration are looking for is entry/exit stamps from a YF transmission country in your pasport. which you wont have if simply transitting. I have never had an issue with this, as I have transitted thro Addis, Nairobi, Entebbe, a number of times on the way to Malawi.

Ivan

exeter
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

thanks guys.

Just a thought. Does this also apply transiting back through Ethiopia from Kenya? Will Addis officials be after YF certs?

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

You have no worries. We used this flight with flight change at Addis, no need for yellow fever if in transit to or from Kenya. No need for visa either as you are not actually entering the country while in airport.

exeter
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Brill. Thank you. BTW what's Addis airport like? Any concerns?

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Addis airport is clean modern and spacious. For smokers there is a smoking area and, or was 6 months again. Places to eat and drink, plus shops. It was very efficient.

exeter
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Thanks. Sounds much better than I thought. Hope Ethiopian are just as well thought of!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Bole Airport (Addis Ababa) is very nice, modern and clean. No moving walkways!!

If you join the Sheba Miles (free) there is a lounge where you can sit and get free snacks. This is not the Cloud Nine lounge and the washrooms are just outside the door. It is at the very end, near to the higher number gates if I remember rightly. If you have a stop over of more than 8 (I think) hours, they will take you to a hotel. This happened to two friends travelling from Kenya to UK and once to me.

I have used this route to Kenya many times. I have been asked for the YF certificate twice on entering Kenya and never in transit through Addis leaving Kenya. On both occasions, I said I had only been in transit through Addis. The first time, I was then waved through the Kenya health check. On the second occasion, the lady insisted and told me even passing through the Airport was dangerous and I must show her my certificate. Since I had it, I didn't argue with her!!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Hi,

last year while on holiday from Ethiopia ( we live here) to Kenya there was a transit passenger in front of us who did not have a valid cert and he was getting major hassle, I dont know what the outcome was.

agy

Edited: 10 May 2010, 16:29
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya via Ethiopia yellow fever

Agy - that fits with my experience. Were you also asked for yours?