We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Morning All

I am getting married in Kenya, staying 2wks at the Voyager hotel in March and would love to do a safari as a honeymoon for 3 or 4 days after the wedding.

I have been using TA to research and have decided that I am more than likely going to email Julius (the one from the orange hut) as his feedback is fantastic but before I email him I just wanted to ask a few questions...

1. I have a party of 20 people with me and all of them want to safari too, can we go all at once or do the camps have limited capacity?

I realise that we are going to have to split up into separate vehicles but I would rather we all ended up in the same place!

2. How many people can each tent/room generally sleep?

3. We are more than likely going to do Tsavo East and West, can anyody recommend any particular camps/lodges or at least ones to avoid?

4. This may sound like a stupid question but do any of the camps/lodges have the equivalent of a honeymoon suite?

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

Jen

Dresden, Germany
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

congrats on your wedding!we also had the same questions as you when we visited Kenia.

1.its unbelievable how big these hotels and lodges are.some can even accommodate 300 people or more!!so 20 people is very small a number for most of these properties.even on vehicles,they have bigger ones i think 25 seaters or so.

2.depends,there are family rooms that can fit upto 5 people and single rooms and double.all generally depends on how u want to share.

3.Not many are in tsavo.kilanguni of serena hotels is the best.so be ready also to cough up some money:)

4.Almost all camps and lodges have a honeymoon/presidential suite.u just need to let em know!!!and those that dont,have a deluxe room(which is bigger than others)

5.Talk to your travel agent.they should be able to also enlighten you on the above.I dont hav contacts of my agent with me but can find them for u.

Happy honeymoon!!!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Hi Jen, firstly congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, we faced a similar challenge this year, we had a wedding party of 19 and yes they all wanted to take in a short safari. In the end although we too were based at the Voyager we opted to actually get married at a camp in Tsavo East. We used southern cross safaris who own Satao Camp. They picked the wedding party up from the Voyager in one a/c coach and transported us the 2 1/2 hrs to the Tsavo East park whereupon we disembarked onto 4x4 safari vehicles for our final part of the journey into camp. The camp is relatively small (20 tents), and they couldn't have been more welcoming. They have 3 superior tents which were allocated to Bride/Groom and the 2 sets of parents, they also threw in a few extras such as Sundowners and a separate dining area for us as a party. It really made it special for us all and everyone really enjoyed the experience. If you want any further assistance I am more than willing to share our experience in the hope it will help you to make your mind up what might be best for your party.

Fletch

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Can't answer all your questions, but if you want a superb camp with beautiful setting and fabulous tents, without doubt Galdessa Camp in Tsavo East. Have just returned and was fortunate enough to spend one night here. We were the only couple there. The tents are fantastic with driftwood furniture and a seven foot bed with beautiful linen and mosquito net, large shower room with a unique shower and a deck overlooking the Galana river. There are hippos and crocs in the river and a resident elephant who comes to visit; see my picture So romantic. You wouldn't need a honeymoon suite as all the tents are like that and they could probably acoomodate several people.

Edited: 26 July 2010, 12:41
Liverpool
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Hi Guys thanks for the advice.

I will enquire about Kilanguni, Satao Camp and Galdessa Camp.

Fletch - I had a read of your trip report from your wedding and it sounded fantastic. Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I've already paid for a wedding package in full from Voyager so safari is now my mini honeymoon instead!

Do you think the large party size might be an advantage when negotiating a price or are they pretty set in stone per person?

Thanks

Jen

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Hi Jen, as for discounting prices certainly the size of your party should help you to get upgrades/additional things thrown in. The other 2 lodges/camps you are looking at are very good as well so I guess your best option now is to start getting some prices as that will set you on your way as to what you may finally decide upon.

Fletch

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Hi Jen

if you end up going to Kilaguni, be cheeky and ask them for an upgrade to the suite (number five, on the top floor - a kind of penthouse!!), it's fab and the views are fantastic. Also, they have four other suites which are quite large, be daring and ask them for a free upgrade to them. You never know!

They have a very nice swimming pool there, the food is good and the staff are great. They're just about finishing the renovations so all should be good by the time you get there.

Dartford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Hi Jen. Good luck with your forthcoming wedding. there are TWO Juliuses.

One 's a fake who adopted Julius' name to get more work and I'm not sure who's who. We got back from Kenya a couple of weeks ago and I can thoroughly recommend a company called SAFARI HOLIDAY KENYA TOURS & TRAVEL(safari-holiday-kenya.co.uk). Look up Mustafa Mwaura. He will ensure you have a wonderful time! We booked them through the internet here in the uk

and saved ourselves a lot of money.

Dartford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Furtrher to that previous post. Tsavo East is a must and the views from the VOI

SAFARI LODGE are to die for. Tsavo East can be a bit of a disappointment as the trees and undergrowth are much more dense and the animals harder to see. Amboseli tho', with it's views of Mnt. Kilimanjaro is brilliant. The Lodges there, I believe, are mostly tented but they do have showers and toilets in the tents. We stayed at Kibo and had no complaints.

Durham
Level Contributor
650 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

Hi we also have been to Galdessa Camp, do not miss it is the most amazing place.

We also went to amboseli serena, this was also fab

We went with Glorious safaris with Patrick the driver guide, the trip was flawless

Lynn

Dartford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended safari camps/lodges?

The last message i posted read that Tsavo East was a bit of a disappointment, sorry, that should have read Tsavo West, Tsavo East is brilliant!