We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

hi,

me and my husband planing a trip to Kenya in october 2010 and we wanna do 7 day safari trip and have 7 days beach holiday in Mombasa,was looking to all inclusive deals.is there a way to not pay double for accomodation and food in hotel,since one week we gonna be on safari,or it's not worth of doing on 7 day safari?

please help,we don't wanna waist money on things we not gonna use(like hotel room for one week)

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

book a safari where you go straight from airport on safari with local company, or dont go all inclusive get a local hotel and eat out its cheap enough and you can get band b for 3000 to 4000 ksh a night per room

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

is it ok to take my luggage with me on a safari?

Edited: 11 August 2010, 05:24
3. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:25
uk
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

not really but some places lock it up for you until after your safari

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

Hi,

If you go straight on Safari it is normal for the safari company to store your main luggage while you are on safari, you take what you need on safari in smaller bag (usually soft-sided and up to 15kg). You are re-united with your luggage when you leave for the coast

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

We personally do not like going safari straight away from the aircraft and like a couple of days at least to settle in and then arrange the safari.

This way all your baggage is in your room and you will not have to vacate your room i.e. pack up everything again and may not get the same room on return although going in October some hotels if not full will let you keep the same room. Ok you are losing out on two days but go with the other posters comments as I am sure they will know better than myself. It is just my own personal opinion as I tend not to sleep on the long haul flight at all and could not face going into a safari vehichle right away.

Have a safe journey whatever you do.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

We always do the safari first, booking it way means you would normally only need to pay for the hotel room per night after the safari and of course you are not wasting a few nights at the hotel room that you have paid for!

As the above post says, the flight can be tiring and I too cannot sleep on planes so we normally build in a night in Nairobi before the Safari to relax and catch up on some sleep, many safari operators offer the night in Nairobi as part of their iternery.

although we don't always go to the coast and often custom make our trips a typical trip based on a previous one we've been on (with Somak as an example) would be:

-arrive in Nairobi

- met at airport and taken to Somak Lounge in Nairobi

- leave main baggage (securely) at the Somak Lounge and depart with just our Safari Luggage (15kg each)

- taken to Nairobi Hotel (either just chill or go on excursions for the day)

-collected from Hotel next morning by safari guide and off on Safari

-after safari back to Somak Lounge to collect luggage

-taken to airport to transfer from Nairobi to Mombasa for beach stay

hope that helps

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

The problem with us sabroc is that we normally go for three weeks or a month so like a bit of time at the beach etc and my birthday always falls at the start of the holiday and I can't disappoint the staff who do us proud.

Also a good friend keeps all our safri gear and beach towels snorkelling gear etc in Diani therefore we don't have anything for the safari and we normally go to the Mara in September for a week with the small plane from Ukunda therefore tend to take quite a lot of items and usually book with the kenyan local tour operator which is giving him money and into the country rather than an UK tour operator.

Just our own way of doing it as we have done tailor made safaris in the past and are lucky enough to go out at spring as well and myself after New Year.. Just the person's own choice and if on a budget your safari would possibly fit in although are Somak not quite expensive now?

I would not fly with Somak anyway - personal choice due to the new lodge being opened and have signed the protest form. We used to years' ago and they were very helpful but tend to go with a local operator who is reoputable and whom we trust and know well.

Nantwich
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

Hi, My trip in November goes Fly to Nairobi leave cases in secure office, freshen-up then on to Naivasha Lake in time for lunch lounge about pm dinner overnight stay, then early morning Mara safari. I am on safari for 4 nights then back to Nairobi get luggage then fly to Mombasa for 11 nights.That is if it all goes to plan, sure be a hic-up somewhere, but hey I will be on holiday. That is the plan.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is there a way to save money on accomodation and food?

Just to point out ... you do not pay double for accomodation or food on a package deal ! the costings are for your hotel stay x number of nights and safari trip x number of nights

many people booking with packages think they have paid for all the full holiday period, but it isnt calucated like that .

to book a trip independently sometimes works out far more expensive than a cheapo package ...unless you are planning several weeks safari