We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Mombasa

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Volunteering in Mombasa

Hi! Please, please do help me I know there are loads of these topics around though they date back to 2007-2008. I want to volunteer in Mombasa in the summer of 2011. I want to apply now and hopefully by March latest i would have secured a place and booked flight tickets. I've been searching around on the net and all i've seen are placements which charged you a fortune just to do some voluntary work. (Am 16 and I will be paying for everything through part-time work so i haven't got much money).

I'll probably stay with a family friend that we know in North Coast (Nyali area) and i'm pretty familiar with the public transport (matatus) in Kenya so travelling to work is not an issue for me.

If you guys know any homes in and around that area then please do give me some contacts.

Thank you

Charles

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

drakesdrum on here is your best bet

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

Thanks but do yu have any contacts to the actual homes????

i will send a message to drakesdrum as well

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

CKimani, please be aware of the legal/permit issues surrounding any kind of work here, voluntary or otherwise, which I posted about here tripadvisor.com/…27778670 a few days ago

HTH,

FL410

4. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 14:14
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

Hi,

my husband and i did some voluntary work in 2007 with streetchildren at a rescue centre called Grandsons of Abraham. They take kids from the street, give them food and shelter and teach them. We booked ours through i-to-i.com and paid a lot for it although Grandsons did not get any of what we paid to i-to-i, just us as volunteers. Now i-to-i have stopped working with Grandsons but they still need volunteers. Have a look at www.friendsofgrandsons.com. The children are mainly boys from around 7 to 17 years old and are orphaned or abandoned.. Although they have nothing they are friendly, polite, happy and very willing to learn. We had an amazing time there and are going back to see them next week :)

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

Edna where are you lol ..Edna helps run an orphanage near Mombasa .. take care though you will fall in love with the children .She also helps out at a feeding station .

Sue

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

The Grandsons of Abraham's volunteers used to stay in the apartment next to ours,, and some of the sisters used to live downstairs, they have moved about 150 metres down the road, they all seem to have a great time in addition to getting a great deal out of the work.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

have responded to CKimani and he is looking at all the volunteer options North & South suitable for his requirements ..

9. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 14:35
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Volunteering in Mombasa

Hi there, am a new poster....long time reader.

I was actually hoping to go out to Kenya aprill 11 an have been trying to get in touch with Grandsons about doing a month volunteering there but have had no luck getting in touch with anyone.

Are they still up and running?

Thank you.