We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

african safari club

cardiff
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
african safari club

ok the accomodation is not brilliant by european standards but its no better tor worse than a lot of places in spain. remember that it is a 3rd world country and without asc there is little hope of ordinary working classs people of going to kenya. the people are ab fab and could teach us a few things about manners and common curtsy. there is a beautiful country out there just waiting to be discovered. leave asc alone they do the best they can with the resources available to them. i work in the hospitality industry in the uk and i kn ow what the public can be like. live and let live.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: african safari club

The standard of the accommodation is not the issue, nor is the fact that it is a developing country, there is an excellent 5 star hotel just along the road and there is a resort being developed targetted at multi-millionaires up the coast, neither is the class of the visitors, nor are the Kenyan people the issue, they are there whether ASC are or not, Mtwapa is full of thousands of them, the hotels at Kikambala, Bamburi, Nyali, and even the other hotels in are staffed with them. Of course it is a beautiful country and people should come, and also leave their hotels and get out and about and experience it.

The other North Coast hotels manage to pay their bills and their staff, they are full, ASC are having to close hotels because of lack of customers. The restaurants and bars of Shanzu and Mtwapa, and the small independent hotels here, all manage to pay their staff, Why can't ASC, because of bad management and terrible business practices, that is why. The real issue is the appalling management of ASC, its contempt of its visitors and its staff, its penny-pinching attitude, its contempt for the country it is doing a disservice to.

Its limited resources are down to its bad management, shocking customer service, and appalling staff management. The Swiss parent company, and the German subsidiary have gone bust due to these practices and standards. That is why they are hovering on the edge of bankruptcy while all around them are currently flourishing.

Please do not try to justify the indefensible because you have found a cheap way to fly here and stay for a cheap holiday. Cheap for you but what price to others?.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: african safari club

As Doffcocker. If ASC paid their staff maybe the holiday would not be so cheap?

And I am sorry jacqui but <<there is little hope of ordinary working classs people of going to kenya.>> just does not stack up. Lots of what you call "ordinary working class" can and do go to Africa either to lie on the Beach or to wonder at the people and the wildlife. There is more to Africa than ASC.

cardiff
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: african safari club

please dont talk to me as if i am a child, u have ur opinion and i am intitled to mine. who do u think that you are, preaching should be a two sided arguement , you always seem so negitive about things.by all accounts they have been bought out by indian so your wish may come true but it could make matters worse as i have seen first hand how low the indians think that the kenyans are

regards

cardiff
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: african safari club

yes i know but there is two sides to every arguement it would be nice to hear the truth instead of back biting and hearsay

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: african safari club

Sorry but who is always negative about things? I am one of the people on this forum most active in promoting local businesses and encouraging people to go out and sample local life. What in my post was back biting and hearsay?

I live here with a local, in amongst the locals in Mtwapa, I care deeply about Kenya and Kenyans, that is why I spend the majority of my time here, I am stating the truth from a local's point of view. If it does not fit with the image you have conjured up to salve your conscience that is your issue. There is no such thing as a free lunch, a cheap holiday is cheap for a reason. If they paid their staff and their electricity bills, they would have to charge you more, and unless they then improved their management and service no-one would go with them.

cardiff
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: african safari club

Hi, obviously we have some crossed wires here. I am defending is a sense that I believe they open up the market for people to visit and enjoy Kenya.Using them to discover the real people in shanzu beach area including Mtwapa.Do you know for a fact that the are not paying their staff, as I was told that they are being paid although not on a regular basis but late, due to cash flow.I have spoken with management (taken with a pinch of salt), staff as in waiters and housekeeping. I know that tips are the real wages that they earn(ask waiters /hairdressers over here and believe me tips are a god sent what most of them live on as minimal wage is still poor,rememeber the cost of living over here). I have a very relistic perception of what goes on including running all their hotels on a single license until the change of government clicked as to what was happening. Lets see what happens with the takeover bid. I will be returning to the beautiful country and its people but i do not need or want your opinion shoved down my throat.

There is no need to be pretentinousand self-rightious thoughas we both dont know the whole story as asc is not telling.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: african safari club

Wonder why ASC aren't giving their side of the story ?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: african safari club

Maybe they have not paid their Secretary or have run out of writing paper?

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: african safari club

As Jacqui rightly says everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have just returned from another 2 months in Kenya and I do have to agree with Doffcocker fully. Yes I do know they have not paid their accounts, some staff when they went on strike were dismissed. A good way never to pay what is owed in wages. I have spoken to staff there also and most agree that if it closed another company would take over and they would then get pay, even if it were a little late. I have many working class friends who manage to get to Kenya and enjoy a reasonable priced holiday which hasn't broken the bank. We met first time visitors from ASC who said they would never go back, due to ASC and their experience with the hotel What good is that doing for the tourism and local people. It is a personal choice if they stay there, but should be aware of what to expect from an unbiased view point. I still claim that the people in the laundry, gardeners, kitchen staff and other behind the scene employees don't usually get tips. These are unpaid people trying to make holidays memorable. I would feel deeply guilty to think they were doing this. Again this is MY OPINION which I also am entitled to. In reality they are paying for the cheap holidays.

Danielle

cardiff
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: african safari club

exactly but until we know both sides it is not righht to make a judgement

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations