We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diet soft drinks for diabetic?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
diet soft drinks for diabetic?

we will be staying at sun n sand early November. My partner is diabetic, will we have a problem getting diet/light soft drinks?

many thanks

1. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 09:35
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

I would e mail them and ask .There was none while i was there but they might get some for you they are very good .

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

I have always been curious as to why finding diet soda in various locations is always a challenge. I've found even the larger lodges in Kenya don't seem to carry very much. They are able to get Coke products and of course, that favorite orange soda. I know a lot of us in the U.S. drink diet soft drinks (so we can better consume our calories on Tuskar and food) but it seems challenging to find. Curious to know if anyone knows why.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

i would guess that it is because in developing countries obesity and type 2 diabetes are not common, people do not have sedentary lifestyles and rich diets, therefore there is no great demand for 'diet' sodas so they haven't invested the capital in its production. (Though there have been articles in the local press recently that obesity, type 2 diabetes and other developed world diseases are starting to emerge in Kenya)

Here at the coast the vast majority of people are not carrying extra weight, and not many of them have sedentary lifestyles, (apart from the thousands who seem to exist without actually doing anything here). For many of them a soda is a treat, but (and its the same in Thailand) they love their sugar. They have it in tea, coffee, its even in the bread (in Thailand its even in the butter as well). Here they eat sugar cane, in Thailand they eat bamboo stuffed with sugar rich rice but their basic diet and lifestyle mean it does not become a problem

Bigbroondug,

I'll check Tuskys the nearest supermarket to Kikambala tomorrow, if I remember to see if they have low calorie drinks in stock

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

If you have Private transport arranged to collect you from the airport get them to stop off in Nakumatt -there are sugar free Cola - Tonic and Cranberry [ good with Kenya Cane/Gin ] and a very good selection of Diabetic products ...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

I checked the Tuskys supermarket in Mtwapa (closest to Sun & Sand but still about 5½ miles away) this morning - I'm afraid they had no low calorie or diet drinks at all

glasgow
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

thanks everyone and thank you Doffcocker for checking market.

will try emailing resort.

there is always water

getting excited now, not long to go

nairobi
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

theres Coke Light for diabetics almost in all major supermarkets and outlets.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

Maybe in Nairobi but not in Kikambala and Mtwapa

10. Re: diet soft drinks for diabetic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 05:18