We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Hi,

Can anyone help me with suggestions? My husband and I are planning to go on a two week trip next August with my mum (84 yrs) to Arusha for 3 or 4 days, along with our 11 yr old daughter. My mum lived in Arusha from age 1 to 18 (but hasn't been back since!) and spent her holidays on Bamburi Beach and at Malindi.

Here is the the complicated part. My brother and his wife are climbing Kiliminjaro and we plan to overlap with them for 2-3 days after in Arusha. They will then fly home and my husband and I, 84 yr old mum and 11 yr old daughter will travel on to a beach resort for 7 to 9 days. My mum wants to go to near Bamburi Beach or possibly Malindi (but is obviously worried about the long transfer, as are we!) We are planning to book with Somak to possibly stay at Serena Mountain Village (seems to be their only option?) and try and book a driver in Arusha to take us to all my mums memories there and then transfer to Mombasa.

Questions are:-

1. Is Serena Mountain village close enough to Arusha to get a driver to take you around the area for the day?

2. Is it likely that we could book perhaps a one day safari suitable to take an 84 yr old on and an 11 yr old from there?

3. Which beach hotel is recommended in North Mombasa or Malindi (if the transfer is not really hard work). We prefer the smaller and quieter hotels, but like to be on an all-inclusive. We prefer beach sellers to rowdy residents!

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

transfer from mombasa to malindi approx 90 mins to 2 hrs, roads are good

if your mum is mobile i would suggest scorpio villas in malindi small very friendly hotel but not all inclusive , you could do full or half boad

good clean rooms and surrounded by lush vegitaion

the beach is a 2 min walk away up a slight hill at the back of the hotel, and the manager has now got part of the beach with sun beds and a bar

small friendly and very good hotel now

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Coast done above.

Arusha.

1. Serena Mountain Lodge is close enough to get a day touring the Arusha area but there are lots of other nice places too, to suit all budgets. Moivara Coffe Lodge, Aromeru Lodge etc., Serena are a chain type Hotel operation and I think your mum would appreciate the more homely atmosphere of somewhere smaller.

2. Arusha will have changed a lot in 66 years. Do prepare your mum for that.

Safari's are possible in Arusha National Park with most animals present except possibly Lion and Elephant. Momella Lodge is right on the Park boundary.

Alternatively it is possible to visit Tarangire NP as a day trip, better to stay one night though, as the trip wil take just over 2 hours along a reasonably good Tar road. Obviously inside the park the roads are bumpy.

A prompt 7 am start would get you to the Park by 10.30, short drive before lunch at the Lodge on the river, another drive as the day cools and head back to Arusha at 16.00 to get home before dark.

Do be advised by your GP as to medications etc., and be aware that you will need a Yellow Fever Vaccination. Good luck.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Many thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated and I will pass the info on to my mum for her to look at.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Many thanks for the information, which is much appreciated. I forgot to say on my question that mum is very aware that things will have changed significantly!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

I am suremum would have been.

From 9th largest town in 1978 to 2nd largest by 2002 with 270,000 citizens and still growing. Happoly still leafy green in season.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Hi there, thanks for your further posting. It is all interesting information many thanks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

No problems. Have you made any decisions yet?

The best way from Arusha to Mombasa is the direct road through Taveta and Voi but it does have logistical problems. I am concerned your Mum will find it all too tiring.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Hi, we haven't booked anything yet, but we plan to fly between Mombasa and Arusha and vice- versa. I forgot to say that my mum has done a few long haul trips in the last 15 years, although is naturally slowing down now and the easier the trip, the better. My brother has booked his side of the trip, so we now need to sort ours out! Thanks for all your help and I will let you know what we decide.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

Your route will therefore be Kilimanjaro to Nairobi and then connect to Mombasa. Never easy is it?

Take care.

10. Re: Help on really special holiday to Arusha/Mombasa North Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations