We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach boys

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mombasa, Kenya
1 post
Save Topic
Beach boys

I have read many posts talking about "beach boys".These "beach boys" that people talk about are the same people that the local tour operators use to make business with.Furthermore,the "beach boys" are legally registered by the government and have an association that is also recognised by the government.You will find that such local tour companies like Julius Tact safaris,Julius Thuvi safaris,F.kings safaris,First african dream safaris and the rest use the "beach boys" as their tour agents.The only difference is that local tour operators have offfices but "beach boys" don't.The local tour operators depend on the "beach boys".So,the local tour operators and the "beach boys" are the same.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach boys

....and what about the "beach Boys" who apply constant hassle to change money - use such and such restaurant - sponsor a school - badger tourists to take taxis to illegal set-up schools and childrens homes ....ask for thier children to be sponsored for school ....... take Unlicensed fishing boats.....tell them there house has been burnt down or flooded...Mothers dying of TB..fathers killed in an accident ...all the family are suffering the heeby jeebys just to get shillings ......I know there are good (honest) chaps working on the Beaches who are genuinely licensed but the gripe isnt about whether the lad/man or woman has a right to work on the beaches but it is the CONSTANT HASSLE and in your face every time anyone steps a foot on the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach boys

There are some wonderful beaches in Kenya that are isolated without beach boys. If you want to avoid the hassle, go to these places. The beach boy culture is going to stay. Two ways around it:

1. Put up with it

2. Avoid it and find secluded beaches.

RWA

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach boys

Well said Edna

I can't recall the amount of times I've tried to explain to them that tourists don't like to be hassled (particularly UK tourists) and that if they need anything they'll do the approaching. It's the same with haggling. They don't listen and because of that they just drive the tourists back to the safety of the hotel.

Fortunately for people who have been to Kenya several times and speak a bit of Swahili, they are left alone by the beach traders. Unfortunately and as has been said on this forum several times, the new visitors are put off by the beach traders and have told us why!

Talking to a brick wall........

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach boys

"So,the local tour operators and the "beach boys" are the same."

No, they're not. They're a bloody nuisance and don't understand or appreciate the concept of "personal space". Stop trying to legitimise them.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach boys

These type of people are all over the world where tourists are. They are trying to make a living. Yes they can be annoying, particuarly if you are from the UK and not used to this.

These guys were not around when I lived in Kenya, but if to go to Bali, Phuket etc they are there. I have always found a smile and a firm NO Thank you works a treat.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 06:31
mombasa
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach boys

Hi,

Though we are all disturbed by the beach boys hassle, some tourist come to kenya just to meet them. please for those who feel unhappy look elsewhere like lamu, chale island etc no beach boys pain. They are genuine very tough sales people trying to earn their living. For those who feel they are competitors in getting tourists for safaris , children homes business etc, sorry you have to compete with them. They are all licensed by the kenyan government and pay taxes. In most hotels , they have a guard day and night to make sure they do not come to the hotel, therefore if you feel so disturbed stay in doors. other means to put them off is learn some swahili words, just do not talk to them, and as days go by they will leave you alone. Therefore learn to live with the beach boys, and enjoy your holiday.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach boys

Hi,

i totally agree with Edna and Min - well, you will have traders and sellers everywhere, but (can you say this in english) the sound makes the music.

It is the same as with the animals - if you take them their space, they will disappear.

The beach boys will never recognize, that people are willing to make business or to buy something, but they want to decide if and when. For repeaters - they know hot to handle - i know many firsttimers, who will never go to Kenya again only because of the beach boys.

Over the years we know many and there are so many who have once a month the chance to get so much money from one tourist to survive. This point is for them very important - better one big business, than more fair business. Firsttimers usually are not sure with prices and some think, if i buy something, they will leave me alone and pay most times the much more than usual.

We know some beach boys, who are making a good business - by letting the people space and give them the chance to have a look if they want.

3 years ago we were walking and there was a young man coming - he started with the usual comments and stopped - than he said: okay, i can see, you are tired of lookin - have a nice day. We have been so surprised and we started a nice talking.

there might be trustworthy beach boys, but there are also many who know how to make good business by nerving and disturbing people.

And you will recognize - there are also beach boys working for a company, but also many who will tell you everything to get your money.

Bye

Chrissy

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach boys

I am not and never have been "disturbed" by the beach boys hassle - I have though become Annoyed in the past as a Kenyan newbie ! to have constant - quite in my face - aggresive begging and even one time popping up besides me in the SEA !! as for telling tourists to look elsewhere I dont think many beach boys/ traders will be happy for you to tell tourists to go to Lamu etc; do you mean to tell me the traders are so rich in Mombasa they do not want to sell to us?

The beach boys and most of them are just that BOYS who pester and litterally badger a tourist to visit the childrens home cheapo fishing trips and other un-safe trips are NOT REGISTERED I go to Kenya many times a year months at a time and I see these scabby gits taking business from the hard working licensed "beach boys" who do indeed pay there taxes to the local council department,

oh and your very wrong about guest `s in the hotel not being bothered - THEY DO - because traders are allowed [ in several North Coast hotels] to shout up/at/ into the hotel grounds and the worst is Bamburi beach and Shanzu ... Kitu Kidogo is the word I beleive and this opens many a door !

as for other countries? they leave you alone !! and allow you to look and touch the goods without hassle...

I wonder if we could have a forum for those poor holidaymakers who are NEVER coming back to this fabulous wonderful country of Kenya ... try and persuade them to re-think ,

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach boys

I think where ever in the world there are tourists there are people trying to make a killing and Kenya is no different.

We know a few beach boys from the Kikkambala area who we consider to be friends and trust accordingly.

But obviously they don't do the 'sell' on us.

My first experience was on the beach at Flamingo I think I bought a school before dashing back to the shelter of the hotel!

There is no social security in Kenya and unemployment very high so you cannot blame them for trying somehow to make a living. As many of you say they can be a very pushy and for us Brits that is a big turn-off.

Knowing a bit of Swahili would be a help and the phrase - " mimi sim telli tenor"( probably not spelt correctly) which roughly translated means - " I'm not a tourist anymore" seems to work very well.

They are definitely preferable to beach sellers of Morocco who if unsuccessful at selling to you leave you with a snarl and a mouthful of expletives, I know which I would prefer.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach boys

We all have our views on beach boys, some favourable, some unfavourable but from my own experience in the 12 years we have been coming to Kenya, the "Beach Boys" now around Nyali, Bamburi & Shanzu are far more pushy to the extent that many people we speak to during their holidays in Kenya come once & don't return due to the constant hassle.

In Kilifi there is a little road where all the people selling their wares have a row of shops & the tourist know to go there if they want bits & bobs, after years of staying at Whitesands its briliant to walk on the beach and apart from the fishermen showing what fish they have caught one or two people might try to sell you a shell & thats about it, heaven !!!