We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Mombasa

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Mombasa

Hi,

My finace and I are planning on getting married in Kenya in Feb 2012 but are yet to choose our hotel. We have been given conflicting 'advice' from the travel agents with regards to whether you can actually get married on the beach so was wondering whether anyone knew which hotels definitely offer this.

My other concern is about the photos you get - as they are the biggest momento of the big day I want them to be good quality...

Any info or advice would be much appreciated x

Liverpool
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

I am getting married in the Voyager hotel in 6 weeks time so will give a full report when I get back however to answer your questions...

Marrying on the beach - where I am getting married doesn't seem to offer this however they offer a couple of different locations which overlook the beach and you can go down there for your photos anyway. I've been to a few weddings abroad and have also been recommended that getting married on the beach is not the best idea because it is public and you can't stop strangers joining you.

Photos - I had this concern too so I contacted guest relations and asked for the recommended photographer's details. I got them to send me some example pictures and to be honest I was not mega impressed. Don't get me wrong they seem of a high quality taken by professional digital cameras however I am not really a fan of traditional posed photographs, I like the photo journalist style. I plan to use the photographer for all of the group shots etc (I'm giving them a list) and then getting my sister to take some more spontaneous non-posed snaps as she has a good camera.

heritage-eastafrica.com/beach-holiday/…

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Jen

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

We actually renewed our 25 wedding vows at Southern Palms on the South Coast and had the choice of the private part of the beach or the gardens but chose the gardens as the beach can get quite breezy for 'photos although we still had 'photos taken there.

The album we received was actually very clear and was arranged by the guest relations at the hotel with a good photographer.

We also received a video - probably a DVD now which came out well and got two guests to take 'photos on their cameras and also gave our video camera to another guest.

They just went behind the photographer and virtually took the same 'photos and there is not much difference between the two except the professional probably comes out top as he positioned everyone where he wanted us and the guests in the gardens, the grounds, at the entrance and on the beach.

I also chose the dancers to lead me to the gardens from my room.

If you look at my review of 2009 there are pictures taken by a guest which may give you an idea.

Edited: 01 February 2011, 15:40
Oxford
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Pinewood Village on the south coast certainly offers weddings directly on the beach and wow, what a beach it is. The hotel is in a beautiful location south of the main hotel strip of Diani beach so makes for a more personal and private ceremony than you would perhaps get elsewhere. It's a hotel I go to a lot, so have been there when many weddings have taken place. All the couples that I met were delighted with both the day and their photos and I believe you can also have a video option. Check out the reviews as there are many by wedding couples and also the hotel web site for details of the wedding package. In terms of customer service, this hotel will be hard to beat.

Best wishes for a fabulous day

Anna

colchester, uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

hello,

We're actually getting married at Pinewood Village the comments of the last poster has pleased me no end as I was actually wondering if the photos are any good! however, I think I will buy a decent camera before we go anyway and get one of my family to take some photos anyway.

Pinewood really stood out for us when we were looking as it seemed much smaller, much more personal. We don't really like the idea of a huge impersonal hotel we much prefer small! .. And of course the beach looks fab.

As far as arrangements go, it's hotel organised rather than our holiday company 'Thomsons' so the arrangements will be made and location of our wedding ceremony sorted once we get there.

I'll have to tell you how it goes!

Oxford
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Congratulations fifitrixie55. I am sure that you won't be disappointed with Pinewood. It is a good idea to get family or friends to take photos as well. I think that the wedding package offers around 60 photos as basic and that extra can add up financially so are best used for the more formal photos. I promise that whatever you want, the hotel will provide for you. The really nice thing about Pinewood is that it is small and the service is exceptional. You will have a very special day and it will be all yours as they only offer one wedding a day. We are going back in just under 2 weeks and are expecting to have yet another exceptional holiday.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Quite a nice idea is to buy a few disposable cameras -give them to a couple of your guests and perhaps a member of the hotel / beach for some candid non posed shots !!!

7. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 18:35
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Thank you all for you advice!

Edited: 06 February 2011, 14:10
osh
uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

We are staying at the Serena Beach in a couple of weeks time, I have copied this for your information;-

2011 Wedding Package

Serena Beach Hotel & Spa

2011 Wedding Package

Serena Beach Hotel & Spa

Edited: 06 February 2011, 15:40
osh
uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Sorry, this is what i intended to post for your information;-

SERENA BEACH HOTEL & SPA WEDDINGS

STANDARD PACKAGE – £1215

VALIDITY: 1 January 2011 – 31 December 2011

Includes:

Registrar, Legal Fees, Licence and Marriage Certificate

Transport for Registrar

Decorated wedding venue

VIP welcome upon arrival at the airport with sparkling

wine and other refreshments on board

Express check in

Free upgrade to one of the suites subject to availability

One-tier wedding cake

Bottle of wine, fruit basket & flowers in room on arrival

Exclusive beach breakfast (subject to the weather)

Bridal bouquet, one buttonhole, hair confetti

Special turn-down service

Exclusive romantic candlelit dinner at Jahazi Grill +

bottle of wine

Spa manicure/pedicure and hair care for the bride

Hair care for the groom.

Photographer and 72 photos in an album

A choice of 2 spa treatments per person

Optional extras:

Champagne (per bottle) £44

DVD of wedding £220

DVD of wedding with background music £250

Guitarist £77

Giriama traditional dancers £235

Additional photographs (72 prints) with album £93

Prices are in £ Sterling. Current brochure booking conditions apply. The price we confirm at the time of booking is the price we guarantee.

This includes any increases or decreases applied to the above prices at that time.

020 8423 3000 www.somak.co.uk