We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resident rates

Henley in Arden
Level Contributor
28 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Resident rates

Hi, I'm booking my own accommodation on the coast and when looking at some hotel websites they have non resident rates and resident rates. Usually the resident’s rates are in KSH and the non resident rates in dollars or euros.

Are the resident rates only for Kenyan nationals? If you convert the resident KSH rate to dollars/euros, it can be a lot cheaper. I’m not sure if this is because of the current exchange rate or if Kenyans do get a cheaper rate?

If we wanted to pay in KSH would we get the resident rate?

Thanks

Helen

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resident rates

The resident rates are for the Residents of Kenya.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resident rates

Hi Hellen,

You only get a resident rate in a Kenyan national or a foreigner with proof of living/ working in Kenya/East Africa. Some accommodation however have only one rate.

All the best in your booking.

Henley in Arden
Level Contributor
28 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resident rates

That's great, Thanks guys. I did think that's what it meant, but some places only showed one rate so I just wanted to be clear.

H

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resident rates

Yes isnt it great in Kenya that they can look after their own people in this way where as in UK if we did this it would be classed racist. Shows just how ridiculous the UK is these days.

Bear in mind though that alot of websites in Kenya are not updated very often so best to check a price by emailing or calling them if you can. Also haggle in the price too.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 15:24
5. Re: Resident rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations