We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping in touch

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping in touch

wot is the cheapest way to keep in touch with the uk....i have read that it will cost me 50p per text to text home with orange :-/ and am not sure my push mail will work

any suggestions?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping in touch

Hi,

If your phone is unlocked buy a local sim, you can call a UK landline from as little as 3 KSH per minute. If your phone is locked, you can get it unlocked for around 500 bob or buy a cheap phone with a sim here

If you go to the Kenya forum page and put 'local sim' in the search box you'll find more detail as there are lots of questions about it

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping in touch

As Doff said you should buy a local sim which can be purchased on arrival at Nairobi/Mombasa airport.

You should have your mobile unlocked before leaving the U.K (usually about £5).

A Safaricom sim card is the usual choice, international text messages can be sent to the U.K for 10 Kenyan shillings (8p).

You then buy a scratchcard and top up your mobile.

Safaricom top up cards are widely available throughout Kenya (and a Safaricom mobile can be topped up from anywhere in the world at any time ie. I can top up a mobile in Mombasa from my location here in Bedfordshire, England).

If you have a laptop you can purchase a Safaricom USB for £15 and top up the same as you would a mobile phone by buying a scratchcard and keep in touch using email.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping in touch

nic6. please can you tell me how do you top up mobile in Kenya from the U.K

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping in touch

I have sent you a link to where Safaricom top ups can be purchased online.

Payments are via Paypal and the top up serial number can be sent direct to a Safaricom mobile or back to your email address.

A 1000KSh top up costs £9.26 which is reasonable.

I use the service regularly and have never had a problem.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping in touch

Hi

Thanks for all your help it appears that to ring the uk its 18Ksh and a text of 10Ksh with safaricom

http://www.safaricom.co.ke/index.php?id=215

would it be worth checking any other operators or is safaricom the best?

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping in touch

or you can send money via western union to a mobile as long as there phone has an empeza account which most people do out there, then they can go and draw the money and top up phone themselves, cost to send up to £100 is £4.90 so any amount up to that has that cost

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping in touch

Safaricom is the biggest, most reliable network with the widest coverage, but you can get cheaper calls, for instance its 2.49 /- per minute to a UK landline and 12.49 /- to a UK mobile

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping in touch

ah thanks doff what company would that be with then? or have i missed something on the safaricom webby?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping in touch

Oops! Sorry forgot to say it is with Yu

yu.co.ke/tariff-plans/international-dialing

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor