We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

Scotland
Level Contributor
391 posts
23 reviews
First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

There is an interesting thread on the go just now about the fluctuation in prices of Thomson/First Choice holidays. I thought I'd re-post as it may get missed as the original post is about the difference between two hotels:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k4…

Our holiday(for 2 people) is currently £208 less than we paid although it went down to £368 less than we paid at one point and it's still 4 months until we go.

You expect unsold holidays to get cheaper close to departure time but not so far in advance. £368 is rather insulting to people who have booked early and already given them some of their hard earned cash to earn interest on for the privelige!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,781 posts
445 reviews
1. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

One question. Would you have offered to pay more if the price had gone up?

London
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

Oh Mfuwe! LOL

Reality check?

We were all newbies once?

Scotland
Level Contributor
391 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

I've booked plenty of holidays with Thomson/First Choice before and have been to Kenya with them before so not sure the Newbie tag fits.

I was merely reposting the thread that had gone off topic so it didn't get lost and pointing out that the fluctuations seem to be greater than I've seen in previous years.

If someone isn't too fussed for a particular hotel then it might be worth considering how much premium you want to pay for booking in advance.

With regard to prices going up - if holidays companies want to do that they seem just slap a fual surcharge on you don't they?

Edited: 20 April 2011, 21:17
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
125 reviews
4. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

I booked and paid for my holiday for this September in December last year before the VAT increase and fuel surcharges hit. The price now is £600 more per person . So it can pay to book well in advance.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,781 posts
445 reviews
5. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

There are two factors at play here.

AirFares actually tend to increase the closer you get to departure. Ever tried to get a last minute flight for a family event? Airlines have staff whose sole job is monitoring load factors by pricing and releasing batches of tickets.

Then there is the infamous surcharge bogey which airlines used years back for everything from Taxes, Currency fluctuations, Fuel prices and whether or not there was an R in the month. They caused outrage and you now get "Guaranteed no surcharges!" to tempt the baubies from your wallet.

Folks fall for the blandishment to "book early to secure the Hotel/flight of your choice". It is meaningless and does not stop the evil of flight consolidation or last minute switches. Moral. Sheep are designed to be fleeced.

Finally my advice FWIW, said many times on many fora, is if the price is acceptable, buy it, file the tickets away and NEVER re check. Why stress over it? A good price is still a good price.

Edit. Written before Bruce's input. I bet if surcharges were not outlawed he would have had a letter requesting he pay more.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 21:57
Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

Bruce has said he "booked and paid" for his holiday last December.

Not certain but am sure Bruce will confirm that the key point here is the "paid" for bit.

If with the usual First Choice/Thomson method you pay a deposit and then the balance a couple of months before you go they can then put the price up. If it is all paid for months in advance they can't.

I am sure somebody with some legal knowledge can clarify.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
125 reviews
7. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

Its the risk you take by booking early as prices can go up as well as down. I was prepared to take that risk after watching the prices for several months and purchasing the holiday when I saw a price that i was willing to pay. I managed to book 2 weeks TBBC with Thomson along with extra leg room seats and private airport transfers for £1200 each the Web price today is over £1700 per person and that is without the seat upgrade as they have already all been sold. In my case book early to avoid disappointment

wales
Level Contributor
211 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

My holiday with premium seats still works out £200 each cheaper when I booked it.

I always find look online first and take the price online into thomson and they have to price match it.

I feel I got a bit of a bargian on our holiday - 2 weeks TBBC A/I Premium Seats Parking at Gatwick VIP Lounge and a room upgrade £1200 Each :)

South Wales
Level Contributor
278 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

I was going to book our holiday when we came back from our cruise which would have been with 8 weeks to go, BUT checking before we went and it stated "only 2 seats left on this flight", the price was ok so I booked and paid for it. When we got back out of curiosity I had another look andlo and behold there was the same holiday albeit more expensive.

Now they are saying "hurry only 4 seats left"

I'ma firm beleiver in paying your money and taking your chance, sometimes prices go up sometimes down.

I intend to have a great holiday whatever.

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: First Choice/Thomson Price Fluctuations

We booked ours in January going end of July. There is an odd number in our party and need a room for one was happy with the price and cannot wait to go do not care if the pricee goes up or down got it within budget and cannot wait.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations