We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kenya
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

Dear All,

Refurbishment has started at Sarova Whitesands w.e.f 1/5/11 and is expected to last till 30/6/11 - they are redoing the sea front rooms block by block.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

Needs redoing as the hotel rooms are very tired, the communal areas are tip top so it can only improve the complete holiday experience !!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

Well,its good timing as its rather low season even if they are all year round due to the many conferences held

John

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

Its very low season John, there are very few people around, everyone I talk to says there is no business

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

good to see refurbishment to sea view. Currently staying in Palm and quality is very poor, probably last time here.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

I almost fell of the chair reading the comment "its low season -very few around... try telling that to the package tour companies, the prices are stupid !!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

I wrote that in May, Edna, but everyone is still complaining that there is no business, I haven't been on Bamburi Beach since I came back, but I have been in Shanzu where Tourist Rd was deserted, but ASC closing will be responsible for a lot of that. Westwoodboy told me that he walked through the Continental to go for a drink at the beach bar with Chuchuslough a day or so ago and it was like something out of a post-apocalypse sci-fi film where something has killed all the people but left the buildings intact,. When they go to the beach bar it was in process of closing as there were no customers.

Having said that I have been in the Whitesands Business Centre twice this week and the reception / central public area seemed busy enough

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

oops - perhaps I should have fallen off the chair and knocked a bit of sense in the old grey matter, but its still getting into stupid money for holidays over there,

I do feel sorry for all the traders in Shanzu can`t imagine how their coping ,,,

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

drakesdrum( hello edna) is 100% right, the prices have rocketed,the prices are even higher next january because monarch will not be flying to kenya.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

Its a joke at the minute, flying from Manchester is a fortune but after October 23rd Thompsons stop their direct flights so its going to be near impossible apart from flying KLM via Amsterdam or travelling down to Heathrow or Gatwick, was thinking as Ryanair are now back flying out of Manchester they may consider the Mombasa Route LOL !!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Refurbishment at Sarova Whitesands

It looks like low season has come to an end, the papers have had articles about how the lodges and camps are doing good business, both now (some are reporting they are full) and through the Migration period, there are more tourists knocking around the Nova Centre at Nyali, the German and Italian charter flights have started up again, and I was talking to a dive school manager who was saying that business had picked up

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations