We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

reading,england
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

can anybody clarify the luggage allowance for booking with monarch but flying with KA from heathrow please?monarch say its 20kg,but i thought KA was 46KG hold and 10KG hand? thanks,teresa.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,727 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

Hi,

If you book with KQ directly it is 2 x 23 kg plus 10 hand luggage as you say. Have you already booked? If so what does your ticket or e-ticket say, and is there a KQ booking reference on it? If so you can check directly on the KQ website, your baggage allowance would be noted as 'Two Piece'

reading,england
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

hi doff ,thanks for your reply,my friend has booked for jan 2012 to mombasa via nairobi with monarch,but flying with KQ,and on her monarch invoice it says 20kg per adult ! she doesn't want to take extra and then have to condense or at worst dump some of it! it's not very clear.have you any more advice please? thanks very much,teresa.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

I have met a few visitors who have booked with various other package tours ie: travelsphere etc; flying in to Kenya they are told only 20kilos but on the return journey have taken the limit of 46 per person and got through with no problems ..

if your on a package tour I believe the single suitcase of either 20 kilos ( or 23 kg if upgraded) is what they budget for porterage,

reading,england
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

thanks for your reply,Edna.

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

Any idea what the hand luggage allownace is - only I have a pull along dedicated camera case, which is rather heavy and am concerned they may not allow it - even though it was bought as cabin size regulations. It's the weight I am concerned about!

Almost There
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

I seem to remember reading recently that the KQ baggage allowance from Heathrow to Nairobi is greater than the allowance from Nairobi to Mombasa?

I know that Monarch have stated 20Kg per person.

Would holidaymakers get caught out by taking two pieces weighing 46Kg from Heathrow (Gatwick) and then have to pay a priemum to fly the excess from Nairobi to Mombasa?

Doesn't the flight from Nairobi to Mombasa on KQ count as a domestic flight and I think the allowance is lower than 46Kg?

Almost There
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

Chupka11

Are you only flying from Heathrow to Nairobi or will you also be flying from Nairobi to Mombasa?

If you are the replies to my post above might interest you?

Almost There
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

I seem to remember reading recently that the KQ baggage allowance from Heathrow to Nairobi is greater than the allowance from Nairobi to Mombasa?

I know that Monarch have stated 20Kg per person.

Would holidaymakers get caught out by taking two pieces weighing 46Kg from Heathrow (Gatwick) and then have to pay a priemum to fly the excess from Nairobi to Mombasa?

Doesn't the flight from Nairobi to Mombasa on KQ count as a domestic flight and I think the allowance is lower than 46Kg?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,727 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

Hi,

if you book KQ or KLM from Europe to Mombasa via Nairobi, the 2 x 23 kg and 10 kgs hand baggage applies all the way through

Almost There
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: monarch/kenya airways luggage allowance?

Thanx Doffcocker - do you think would this apply to flights booked by Monarch on KQ? I fully understand that if I booked as an individual (we're all individuals) I'd get the full allowance.

They just might have stated 20 Kg for the whole journey knowing that they have only paid KQ for Internal flight baggage, ie the lower rate from Nairobi to Mombasa?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has recently travelled with Monarch on that route and can advise on what baggage allowance they were actually allocated.

Monarch just won't answer questions put to them by email and I can't for the life of me understand why they would state 20 Kg when it could be 46 and actually deter passengers from booking holidays with them.