We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight needed

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
flight needed

Please help: My mother in law is stuck in mombasa after having all her money, home etc taken from her after a holiday romance went wrong. she now has no money to return back to her family in england & has little money for food. i fear for her & am asking anyone to help get her from mombasa to england this month. obviously only require one way! we have no money here as all gone on legal battle to fight get her belongings back only to find the solicitor was being paid off by the other side.

Please help us get her home she is 66yrs old, recently treated for breast cancer. thank you to all that read this x

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight needed

you mean to tell me not one member of her family can raise around £400-£500 to get her back to UK? its easy to book on a credit card raise a bit of money on a house or sell items on ebay .... you must have an income in order to pay for the solicitors fees and may I say right here and now NOT all solicitors in Kenya are corrupt !!!!!!!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flight needed

I didnt say they where, just that hers was, please dont be angry with me. others have been great & no there is only me, single young mother with 2 children, & partner recently passed away after accident. on verge of losing my own home at the moment. you know nothing about me or our situation dont you think i have tried everything & having to ask for help like this is horrible & embarressing but didnt know what else to do.

I didnt come on here for angry people to abuse me just for advice & help to get her home. I dont have a credit card, mother in law paid solicitor fees of £4000 up front using money she had when she went to start new life only to find her house she had built with kenyan partner was only half hers & he was able to sell it & has nothing.

I have enough upset in my life at the moment & could do without know it all people making assumptions.

it isnt my house so no!!

i dont have anything except the clothes me & my children wear to sell so no!

i have little income as have young children so work & pay childcare

just to have sence of some normality & not claim benefits

my partner died in accident january & i found he had run up debt so lost my house so have nothing at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my partner was an only child her parents are dead so NO!! you rude arrougent person who has a very unwanted small minded opinion & has made me bloody angry & upset!!!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight needed

Rude arrogant person? ME ? well my dear you simply do not know me and I take exception to YOUR assumption of me - you also never read my post carefully - all you had to say was you- or what family you have left - were not in a position any more to help.

You obviously dont know me or what I do for many many unfortuantes in the third world so keep your abusive words to yourself

I see no mention of the British Consulate perhaps that should have been your mothers first point of call.

I think you should amend your post by the way - "your partner died and HE left you debts -- then " your partner was an only child & HER parents are dead.

well my dear you must excuse me I have to go fishing !!!

4. Re: flight needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 16:35
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight needed

The British high commission will "loan" money to British citizens so they can return to UK for people in this kind of situation.

I suggest you contact them.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight needed

Tell your mother to contact the British Embassy. They will help her. Contact numbers can be found on their website.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight needed

If your mother is in dire straights ( not the pop group) and has recieved treatment for her Cancer here in the UK , then Macmillan Cancer Charity will be interested to hear your request,

she must as a UK resident be in reciept of a Government pension of £103 per week - at least 6 weeks savings will buy an Air ticket,

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: flight needed

Hi

Thank you for all your responses, i was unawre about the macmillan cancer trust. although her pension is only £215 mth. she did recieve her cancer treatment here in the uk however isnt classed as a uk resident anymore as she lives in kenya & would be homeless & starved if she saved it for 3mths to buy ticket herself, but will contact them anyway.

She has tried embassey over there but will contact them myself from here.

as they had to kick her out & close while riot was going on. :/ & will contact British high commision. Thank you for your helpful advice i didnt know what else to do & needed some guidance from those that maybe have alittle more knowledge on whatelse i could do.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight needed

Unless your mother has a Kenyan passport she is most definitely still a UK citizen. Don't know what you mean by "they had to kick her out and close while riot was going on"; there have been no reports of riots at the UK embassy here in as long as I can remember, so I find that a little odd.

If your mother is on a British passport (irrespective of how long she has lived here) and has friends/relatives in the UK (as do I, even though I was born and raised here in Kenya), she is entitled to help from the UK embassy/high commission - as advised above. Simple as. They will not see her "homeless and starved". It could be said that to move to a Third World country without financial back-up is more than a little near-sighted but unfortunately your mother-in-law is having to learn this the hard way. Embassy will get her a ticket home, end of story.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 23:41
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: flight needed

Hi Karen, thank you for your message. it was a couple of months ago she was asked to leave due to riots & fighting. she had been once & this was her 2nd trip. Yes she still has uk passport & her visa expires for kenya early next year.

I have contacted all the places advised myself now & awaiting responses.

My mother in law currently has no way of making contact home due to lack of money, going to phone her mobile she has there in next few days hopefully with some positive news for her. I totally agree moving to a 3rd world country the conditions she has found herself in are her own doing & angry as she should no better & accused me of trying to spoil her chance of happiness. Havent heard any happiness since she got there really so in many ways i have no sympathy. (heartless i know) but i wouldnt leave her there & will do what i can. This has been a very lengthy, expensive experience as she has lost everything & would like to think she has learnt her lesson??. if she hasnt next time she is on her own. x