We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is mombasa a Malaria region

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Izegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
835 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is mombasa a Malaria region

Is mombasa a Malaria region?

Would be grateful if anyone would give me some information about what is best to take for Malaria, and how expensive it is.

Has anyone used or know Paludrine®?

I have heard of DOXYCYCLINE I was wondering if this good?

I don't know if I could get this in Belgium?

How much does it cost in the UK (I could always ask some to bring it from the UK

Thanks

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Seek advice from you doctor they are best placed to offer advice.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Yes all the Swahili coast is malarial. Paludrine is no longer recommended for Africa.

Do not concern yourself with cost. Getting a prophylactic that works should be your priority. What is €100 compared to the cost of your trip?

See your Medical Adviser.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Doxycycline is a great anti-malarial. That's what I use. But you should still take every precaution to avoid being bitten by malarial mosquitos.

Safe travels,

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Mombasa is definitely a malaria area, so meds have to be taken along with proper covering of exposed skin from dusk-to-day and use of repellent.

Doxy, that many use is an "all-purpose" antibiotic (used not only for malaria) and should be available in Belgium.

Always iscuss with your doctor any meds or inoculations as these relate to your own health history.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

The whole of Kenya is considered a malarial area. If you are coming here, irrespective of which region you are visiting, you should be taking anti-malarials and using repellents.

Izegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
835 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

I see that DOXYCYCLINE in used quite often in GB. Here in Belgium it is usually MALARONE which is expensive and LARIAM®. Maybe that the doctors don’t like you give us a prescription Because we get money back from health care? MALARONE & LARIAM®. You get anything back (that is what makes so expensive.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Even though the doctors seem to only prescribe Malarone or Lariam for malaria, Doxy is a general all-purpose antibiotic... so just ask your doctor for this which is often prescribed for those who can't take the other two. You're the patient.

You'll have to have sufficient tabs to start taking daily prior departure, while in country daily and then for 28/days on your return.

Just be aware that there are possible side-effects if using Doxy, one being sun sensitivity, so you must use sun protection, and for women maybe Thrush (discharge).

I use either Malarone or Lariam regardless price, so it's up to you.

Discuss with the doctor and ask for what you want if it's Doxy.

London
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Mombasa used to be the mosquito coast. It has little problem now by comparison since regular spraying takes place along the coast. However, you should take all precautions against bites and take anti-malaria tablets. See your doctor early so that you can begin taking them before you go (and after return). They can make some people feel a yuk for the first few days, so best to get that out of the way before you travel.

Vic

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

<<since regular spraying takes place along the coast>> ????

kenya
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is mombasa a Malaria region

Malaria is all over Kenya amd Mombasa is the worsed hit resistant malaria. But why should you worry, take some anti malaria tabs just before you visit and take again when you leave.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations