We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather report

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Weather report

As the summer holiday season approaches lots of people ask what is the weather like 'right now' and after responding to a particular question someone asked me to keep them up dated, so rather than just put updates on that thread, I thought I would start this one so everyone can read it and anyone else who is here can also contribute.

A couple of things to bear in mind:

I live in Mtwapa so am primarily writing about here, though I also spend time in the tourist area of Shanzu, Bamburi and Nyali which are all virtually next to each other on the North Coast. However the South Coast resorts around Ukunda and Diani are only about 25 miles away on the other side of Mombasa Town.

When it rains the showers tend to be relatively short but torrential and they can be very localised, it can be raining on one beach and fine on another a few miles away.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather report

The Long Rains have finished and the weather has been improving. The last week has been hot and sunny, though we had one cool overcast day, and Friday was very hot and sunny until late afternoon when it clouded over. Yesterday was beautiful early morning but then there were a few cloudy periods and one shower that lasted less than a minute. The breeze from the sea is still strong most days, occasionally rising to a wind.

Its 8.15 am as I write this, its another beautiful morning,one or two clouds, the sun is out but still low so its just starting to get hot.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather report

These links are always helpful:

www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/africa_IR.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/127?

And the following link is a webcam at Diani beach (there are other camera's available for other destinations in Kenya).

If you scroll down to the bottom you can see the weather for the previous 20 hours.

http://kenyawebcam.com/cam.pl?cam=dianicam

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather report

nice guys thanks, keep up the good work!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather report

7.40pm here and still hot at Bamburi. 27 at the moment. Been a beautiful hot day with a cool welcome cool breeze. It feels hotter by the day.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather report

All right Doff & Danbry, after the photos on FB of the moon shining over the beach at Monsoons my next planned trip feels so far away !!!!!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather report

AH but we know you thoughts are with Kenya. Will try and put pics on FB tomorrow. x

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather report

Yesterday was generally hot and sunny with the sun occasionally going behind a cloud.

This morning is the same, hot and sunny with a few biggish white clouds

Mary, there was a kid's 5th birthday party at Monsoons yesterday, kids everywhere, climbing the trees, splashing in the sea, playing on the grass, but well behaved ..... and the birthday cake was yummy

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather report

Cheesrs for that Doff. Couldn't make it yesterday feeding programme and Good Life, lots of beautiful children there. Lioness next....I need some of Monsoon food soooon x

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather report

More of the same yesterday, predominantly hot and sunny with an occasional cloud.

Another beautiful morning today, 8 am, sun shining, no clouds just a little bit of morning haze

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather report

Great idea Doff. Keep it going.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations