We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever

Cambridge, United...
1 post
Save Topic
yellow fever

Hi can you tell me if Yellow Fever vaccinatons are required for the diani region in kenya

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: yellow fever

Just so you know the Kenyan High Comm in UK states "HEALTH

Immunisation against Yellow Fever and Cholera is recommended. Malaria prevention is strongly recommended. Avoid foods and drinks from backstreet vendors. Under no circumstances should you bathe in rivers and / or lakes."

As my hubby and I are going on safari from Kenya in to Tanzania we're getting the lot anyway ;) the costs are racking up by the minute LOL!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: yellow fever

We are going on safari to Salt Lick and Ashnil Aruba. Any risk of Yellow Fever there?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,960 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: yellow fever

Virtually none, they are still in Kenya, there has only ever been one outbreak in Kenya and that was in the early 1990s, the last case reported was in 1995

Edited: 08 October 2011, 09:42
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: yellow fever

Ok that makes me feel much better. Thank you Doff

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: yellow fever

The World Health Organisation (usually the gold standard) doesn't recommend the vaccination for Kenya alone so why does the Kenyan HC in the UK? It is not a vaccination without side effects (in fact it is generally not given to people over 65) let alone the expense. Since they have not recorded a case in nearly 20 years there seems to be no reason to provide the new guidance.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,960 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: yellow fever

Because when the WHO changed its advice earlier this year it fudged it, hence the questions we now get on here about whether people need it for safaris

❝In April 2011, the World Health Authority and therefore the UK National Travel Health Network and Centre, NaTHNaC, changed their advice to travellers, it now says -

"There is a low potential for exposure to yellow fever in the North Eastern province, the states of Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Malindi, and Tanariver in Coastal province, and the cities of Nairobi and Mombasa."

Vaccination is now not normally recommended if you are only visiting these areas.❞ From the FAQ on the right

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,157 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: yellow fever

WHO, KHC et al. They are all fudges. These folks are Public/Civil Servants who take the easy line with "recommendations". Nobody will put their head on the block and say "Don't bother" or "Yes. Get it done!"

They leave it to us to make a value judgement based on little known facts outside our experience. Fine by me. I got my first YF jab many years ago and it is still current. I personally believe that is the right way to go for travel in tropical countries. Others can make their own minds up.

We got all those free jabs as kids without WHO advice. We get our Tetanus topped up (don't we??) plus Diptheria etc., Most get the annual Flu jab even though it does not really work. (What ever happened to this year's 'flu scare anyway??)

What is the big deal with Yellow Fever all of a sudden?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: yellow fever

I agree with your last sentence.

The cynics amongst us would suggest that now more centres and surgeries are offering the YF jab (rather than as in the olden days when you had to turn up at an approved centres miles away at a set time) that there are financial incentives that were previously absent . . .

Others would say that the ambulance chasers have made government departments, quangos et al all over the world more aware of saying low risk rather than no risk. Since no new cases have been reported I for one will asume no change but each to their own.

miiddlesbrough
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: yellow fever

the NATHNaC latest advice for yellow fever is that it is not rec for mombasa or nairobi but is rec for most safaris there map clearly shows that tsavo east an west are in the high risk zone we go on 18 nov and have had jabs ps price of jabs for yellow fever went up from 55 pounds to 65 last week plus most now charge a consultation fee of between 20 an 35 pounds

miiddlesbrough
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: yellow fever

the NATHNaC latest advice for yellow fever is that it is not rec for mombasa or nairobi but is rec for most safaris there map clearly shows that tsavo east an west are in the high risk zone we go on 18 nov and have had jabs ps price of jabs for yellow fever went up from 55 pounds to 65 last week plus most now charge a consultation fee of between 20 an 35 pounds

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations