We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monarch 27th September 2011

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Topic
monarch 27th September 2011

Hi all,

Just been looking at flying out for a couple of weeks and thought i'd go monarch. However the flight times returning on 27th September are longer by 1.5hrs. Does anyone know if this is because it's a smaller plane and they need to refuel somewhere as it states that it is a direct flight on their website and I cant find any info anywhere.

Thanks

Tracy

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

wouldnt surprise me if you dont refuel going and comming back if it the smaller plane

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

yes - direct doesn't necessarily mean non-stop

jersey
Level Contributor
242 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

This is beacause there are headwinds when travelling in that direction.

It is the same coming back from the Maldives.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

Mmm,

typical of airlines not giving the customer the full info. I'm only going to check out some accommodation ready for October so I could do with cheap flights but, I dont relish being cramped on a small plane for that distance.

Any ideas how I could find out what plane they are using.

I checked and the flight leaving London on 26th is also leaving later than normal and flight time is 1.5 hrs longer so it does seem as though they are using a smaller plane with a refuel somewhere.

Hereford, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

Hi. We are coming back on the 27th and have just been informed that we will now be stopping in Luxor on the way back (no reason given) with a later departure time and a longer journey time so now arriving at Gatwick nearly 3 hours later. I am annoyed about this as only chose to go from Gatwick as we wanted a direct flight. No compensation is on offer - thankfully hadn't booked fixed time onward trains home.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

Hello Boxergirly,

Mmm I was wondering if Luxor was going to play a part in this. It clearly means that they are using a smaller plane than usual which will compromise on leg room, Monarch are not great with leg room anyway so this will not be a very comfortable flight.

They are naughty in the fact that they are not giving the customer all the info. Have they given a reason for this?

Probably haven't managed to fill the plane I guess.

I may try Thomson shop incase they give me a better price than the website.

Thanks

Tracy

Hereford, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

They haven't given a reason other than "change to airline schedules!" so I guess you are right - doesn't sound great. Will probably explain why our package holiday on the Monarch flight was significantly cheaper than the Thompson version to the same hotel.

I hope you find a good option and have a great holiday!

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

Hello,

Thanks for the info, you are probably right Thomson are usually dearer but,the flights are said to be slightly better than Monarch. I have in the past upgraded with Monarch but they do not offer this now as they have already changed aircraft to smaller one and do not have that facility anymore.

I hope this does not have too much of an impact on your holiday. Kenya is so beautiful the flight will pale into insignificance when you arrive.

Have a great time.

Tracy

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
262 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

I always fly with Monarch from Basel, Switzerland to Mombasa. I know that the flight leaving Basel comes from somewhere in the UK. I have taken this flight a number of times and am 100% certain of it.

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: monarch 27th September 2011

kevin

they do that all the time at this time of year, the smaller plane comes out and its either luxor or cairo for refuelling out and back , it not pleasant depends on how quick the refuel rig gets to the plane etc and your not allowed off, just stuck on the tarmac, this has happened to me for the past 4 years