We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it still safe??

wales
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is it still safe??

Due to unfortunate recent events I am very concerned about travelling now to kenya in two weeks.

I am staying at the TBBC which is the closet resort to Lamu Island and im feeling quite upset/concerned.

Thanks.

wales
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Is it still safe??

Well it wont deter me from going - only 12 days to go and I cant wait!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Is it still safe??

Doff,

Think this announcement is a mix between knee jerk and the need to be appearing to make headway.

I love the way the Police have managed to keep local and foreign journos from the shore, shame they could not keep away the real villains of the piece!

The reports that the local boys have allowed the Met Police to assume command of the investigation always really annoys me; it is like they are putting their hands up and claiming incompetence. Whilst I appreciate that the kidnap victim is the priority, it just always strikes me as essentially wrong.

GJ

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Is it still safe??

Smoke,

I don’t see that you have upset anyone?! I can imagine it is rather an emotive subject for anyone who loves their Country and knows it is not full of bandits and blaggards.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
262 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Is it still safe??

Cheers GJ.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Is it still safe??

Ladya,

You have already booked and your departure is somewhat imminent; what peter is driving at is those who were considering visiting are definitely going to be in 2 minds; just look to the examples he used.

It is always sad when the minority have such an adverse impact on the majority of good decent people; but like any 3rd world Country, the focus will usually be on the negative. I spotted a programme a few weeks ago titled ‘Locked Up Abroad’ all about unfortunate, though by all I gathered in watching 5 minutes of it, mainly self inflicted unfortunate holidaymakers. Seldom do we see ‘I Had a Really Great Time Go There’ programmes listed!

The longer this poor woman is missing, the worse the impact on Kenyan tourism will be; unless of course something more dramatic happens and the press lose interest, which let us be honest, is normally the case.

wales
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Is it still safe??

CJ,

I agree - I just hope tourism dosent dwindle. I know certain repeaters to Kenya wont think twice to return but many would be put off by this.

Yesterday I posted this topic not only to calm my nerves but for the others who may come on trip advisor seeking the same reassurance.

As I said I wouldnt let it stop me going, if anything it was my parents driving me to worry.

And yes the media seems to focus on the bad but it sells for them I guess!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Is it still safe??

Smoke,

No need for thanks.

I find a Kenya a great place to visit, hence why I am there so often, well that and some business! The people are in the main honest, hardworking and interesting. I find their belief and respect for their culture and religion gives me peace of min, and I am a total agnostic.

I have probably had more trouble during encounters with foreign visitors in England than I ever have being a foreigner in Kenya!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Is it still safe??

Ladya,

I know it is having an impact already; I have just been standing at the bar with someone I had recommend visit Kenya the last week. My kids were excitedly telling him and his wife what a wonderful time they had had, the wildlife they had seen and how nice everyone was.

It now appears his wife is refusing point blank to go now; despite the fact they had not planned to go anywhere near the coast, never mind Lamu.

As peter said, it will become the holiday you may get kidnapped on when talked about.

Oh and, isn’t that what parents are for?;-)

GJ

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
239 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Is it still safe??

yes tell me about parents,i am due to go next week,not only my father saying be very careful,but many of my older friends and collegues, i have more chance of being attacked here in the UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Is it still safe??

Rusty,

Do not ignore or underestimate the dangers. In 3rd world countries, you are comparatively a rich target for the low lives of the world; read the thread and use your common sense and you will doubtless come back a happy camper.

In the main people are friendly, helpful and considerate, though always be aware there are people out there willing to maim or kill for what we consider very little.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations