We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe..

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
How safe..

In the light of the terrible killing and abduction in Kiwayu, how safe is the Kenyan coastal area? My wife and I are planning to stay at the Serena Beach hotel near Mombasa in December and we are a little concerned. Anyone any recent experience or advice please??

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe..

It's safe.

Go through this thread please.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k480…

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe..

It is quite safe. The incident was hundreds of kilometres from Mombasa.

We travel out next week. Have a great holiday. Just take normal precautions remembering that many Kenyans are very poor.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,396 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe..

Hi,

I live about a mile an a half from Serena as the crow flies, as a tourist you will be totally safe, Serena is the best hotel on the Mombasa North Coast, its one of only 2 5 star hotels on the North Coast.

The North Coast is the busiest tourist area on the coast, it is virtually and extension of Mombasa. The places that the two recent incidents took place where at some relatively isolated cottages on the South Coast, and at a very isolated (that is how it marketed itself) luxury resort, 150 miles away from your hotel, and very close to the Somalia border

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe..

I cannot believe how little background research people do when going on holiday. For example if someone was stabbed in London would that stop you going to Edinburgh..............................................................

Edited: 17 September 2011, 17:43
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,396 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe..

To be fair, its more like saying would you not go to Edinburgh if someone had been kidnapped at John O'Groats?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe..

Along the coastal beach of Mombasa there are lots of expensive and well known hotels, it is very safe and with good security.

kiwayu is jus another place near somali far from mombasa and even malindi, enjoy

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe..

I think it's a bit unfair to mock people who are concerned about what's happening in Kenya. I have been to Kenya many times and in Feb an planning a trip to Mombasa and i have done some searches about how for from the Somali border it is. Sometimes we don't think about these things until something tragic happens. If you have no decent advice to give then don't post.

(Mombasa should be safe but take the usual procaution's i.e. at night only use local known private taxi's and not mata tus and leave your valuables in the safe)

Enjoy your break

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe..

LK2011,

Nobody is mocking anyone, those who have posted a plethora of advice and comments on such incidents here do so out of the goodness of the heart, having had first hand experience or in the case of Doff, a prolific contributor, lived it. It seems that those seeking advice have not bothered to do any research, either here or independently on where they are going.

If going to MBA, it is not that proximity to the Somali border you should worry about, but more general security of you and your chattels and goods with regards to robbery, muggings, etc. The advice on how not to fall foul of that is posted here too.

GJ

wales
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe..

reuters.com/article/2011/10/13/us-kenya-kidn…

Hmmmm 3 within 6 weeks - I felt 100% safe but this is getting to be something of a pattern.

Once again however this is within close distance to somalia.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 18:44
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe..

Yes it seems 2 Spanish females have been kidnapped according to early reports from or near to Daadap. This area is close to the Somali border.

All in all this again does not have much implications on the toursim as it is in area no tourist wants to be unless they are on some mad adrenalin safari.

However the pattern of kidnappings in Kenya is becoming a worry.

Stay in main tourist resorts such as Mombasa (North ans South coasts) , Malindi, and the main safari parks your going to be ok.

What you dont want to be doing is heading north up the coast off the beaten track.