We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

We are due to fly out from Manchester on 13 October to Mombassa to stay at Turtle Bay Beach Club, but have serious concerns about our safety. We are quite clued up and know Watamu is outside of the FCO’s unsafe zone – more than 100 kilometres or so from the enlarged zone - but that does not stop my wife and I from being scared, and it also means we are not looking forward to what should have been a holiday of a lifetime.

However, as we are so close to the departure date, our tour operator will not let us cancel or change the destination without incurring a cancellation fee . . . which is 100% of the holiday! Is anyone else travelling on this date to this hotel who could offer us some advice? Or is anyone else in a similar situation? We’d really appreciate your help ...

Chichester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

were due to travel to TBBC OCTOBER 17TH but so scared, and disappinted, dont know what to do, have saved up all year and wont get ay money back .

Chichester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

were travellung to tbbc october 17th bit nerbous, but im desperate to go as waited all year...what to do?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

Go! Given all the advice on here as to how relatively safe the south coast is, why would you not? :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,647 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

As above. Plenty of re-assurances on here about TBBC.

Go and enjoy it. You will be at more risk driving to the airport from home than pirates.

Manchester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

Hi Jade, I understand your concerns and had similar ones but we've been in touch with lots of people and received lots of information about security both on here and from our tour operator, the hotel etc.

As it stands, we are still cautious, and we are natural worriers, but the posters above I believe are right. There are dangers everywhere in the world, so you have to be cautious everywhere you go . . Spain, Cyprus, Kenya . . . or even Chichester. TBBC seems like a fantastic hotel and security is a top priority there with PLENTY of guards .... and it is a great deal away from the Somalian border with lots of other big hotels nearby with similar security.

We too have waited all year and are desperate to go and just want to be safe. There's never a 100% guarantee of this no matter where you go and there's no way the operator will give you your money back for changing your mind anyway. So I’d say just go, keep your head screwed on, don't go wandering off on your own, and don’t go any further north of Lamu .... and you should be fine, you might even have fun. That’s our plan … because staying at home, going to work in the rain and being thousands of pounds out of pocket is not my idea of fun either …..

Edited: 07 October 2011, 11:52
Chichester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

when r u travelling?? thank you :)

Manchester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

No problem, we fly out next week so will have been there a few days when you arrive

Chichester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

please if you get a chance, write on here , so we can know what its like out there before we travel :)

My other half is seriously not wanting to go hes sooo worried .

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

The incident in Lamu is highly regrettable and again Kenyas coastline is more that 700KM so you have plenty of places outside the so called danger areas. If it was NOT safe NO sensible tour operator will expose you to any danger. The UK operators are very cautious and they will never expose you to danger. Bottom line Kenya is safe, Visit and enjoy

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,218 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: TBBC: Has anyone cancelled their Kenya holiday?

The local papers obviously think it is business as usual, today's Eve Bridal magazine in the Standard carries a big feature on Ora Resort, Watamu as a wedding venue

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations