We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donating clothes for children

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Donating clothes for children

I want to bring some clothes and other supplies to the children in Mombasa who are in need. Do you happen to know a orphanage in Mombasa where i could bring them? Or any other ideas?

africa
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Donating clothes for children

Dear

im sorry i dont know any children oprhan but i know one children ophanange in lake victoria so can its still help you?its call magina village oprhanage

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donating clothes for children

What about refugee camps? Are there any near mombasa?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donating clothes for children

Hi repana,

there are several reputable orphanages on both the North and South Coast near Mombasa. Please read the FAQ on visiting them on the right of the forum for some background info ⇗

Various TA members are associated with some of these orphanages, if you were to say where you are staying they could give specific advice

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donating clothes for children

reppana I believe you are staying in Diani so I have sent you a PM

Food stuff is the most needy right this minute with many many childrens homes struggling to buy very basic food .

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donating clothes for children

Advice from Drakes Drum is very reliable!!! Food AND clothing....welcome.

wirral
Level Contributor
294 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donating clothes for children

the homes really do need food at the moment as the two previous posts above said

ann

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donating clothes for children

Try contacting the local Rotary club of Mombassa. Rotary is one of the largest service organizations on the world (over 1.2 MM members worldwide). The African clubs are very involved in local community needs and development and would be a great resource regarding where to put your generous offer to best use.

Below is a list of the local Rotary clubs in Mombassa (I got it off of the Rotary International website):

Club Name Meeting Time and Place

Mombasa Mombasa Wednesday, Mombasa Club, 12:30PM

Mombasa - Bahari Mombasa Tuesday, Mombasa, 12:30PM

Mombasa - Central Mombasa Tuesday, ACE Restaurant, 07:00PM

Mombasa - Diani Diani Tuesday, Jadini Beach Hotel, 12:30PM

Mombasa - Kilindini Mombasa Thursday, Mombasa Club, 12:30PM

Mombasa - North Coast Mombasa Tuesday, ACE Restaurant, 07:00PM

I hope this helps.

~ Den Tvlr

wales
Level Contributor
97 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donating clothes for children

We visited Tumaini orphanage in Mombasa 2 weeks ago.

We took clothing and stationery items. The lovely lady took us round, and I am pleased say the children were not paraded in front of us, it was so natural with the great sound of chidren playing and laughing. We were asked for a donation if we wanted, we did not and we did not feel pressured to give a cash donation.

Please inbox if u would like more details.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donating clothes for children

Please follow the advice given here on TA and not from some "well meaning" hotel staff and holiday reps.

Also please ask for a receipt when making any sort of donations, most well run genuine homes/orphanages/schools will have no problem with this request.

10. Re: Donating clothes for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:19