We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go - what is your preference and why please

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
When to go - what is your preference and why please

Hi,

We are thinking of travelling either June12 or between Jan-March13 for a beach / Safari trip to Kenya. The Turtle Bay beach Club seems to get good reviews, and there are a number of differing safari's available it seems.

Could I ask which month(s) you would prefer to travel there, and if you don't mind, why you make that choice? Do you also book a package (UK based), or DIY?

thanks in advance

SKR

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When to go - what is your preference and why please

skr,

Kenya is great at any time; with of course the exception of the Long Rain period (late Mar to early Jun), though like weather everywhere, it does what it wants nowadays.

Whilst a month by month breakdown is difficult, it is easier to do the where and when in blocks:

Jun – Sep. Good clear sky game viewing; the only trouble is it is holiday season everywhere so it is a little crowded, particularly in the Mara, etc and beach regions.

Aug – Sep. The great migration through the Mara; interesting if you have not seen it, but I wouldn’t base a trip around it myself.

Oct – Nov. Short rain period, nothing that will stop your world and oddly great to see, mainly a torrential downpour or 2, mostly in the evening. They sort of freshen the place up really, though you wouldn’t want to be traveling at the time! I often choose mid Nov to visit, less crowded, but more lush than the drier seasons, the North is particularly good at this time.

Dec – Jan. A High Season period, essentially just more expensive.

Feb – Mar. The earlier the better in my opinion, due to the long rains. Again, I love the North in Feb.

Mar – May. Stay at home and hope the rain there is warm, it’ll save you the air fare!!

As for DIY safari, that is all I ever do. Having watched the industry grow over the last 25 years, I would never take a package, unless it was with the likes of Cheli & Peacock, which will cost you the earth.

My Golden Rules are; avoid the masses, safari North (incl Mara if you must), beach in Watamu. Do your own planning, driving, arrangements; then fly down the coast for a well earned rest, I normally hit here http://www.lonnolodge.com/, though there are cheaper alternatives in the area too.

GJ

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to go - what is your preference and why please

If you're travelling to see the wildlife then the migration in the Mara is a very special event. We always view in September because as has already been mentioned, the crowds are smaller. We prefer Little Governors Camp for its excellent location at Musiara which means you start your morning safari before those staying outside the park begin their invasion.

We're not great beach people, however, on our last visit we discovered Tijara Beach, between Diani & Mombasa. We enjoyed the quiet calm luxury so much that we're returning again next September after a week at LGC.

The weather in both places was perfect as the short rains haven't started as the sun hasn't yet crossed the equator on its southerly transit.

For our first visit 15 years ago we used a Nairobi based company, now it's just as easy to do it ourselves. Whatever, you're sure to love the country & its warm, friendly people.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to go - what is your preference and why please

When to go?

Invariably when it suits me and any other obligations/commitments. It's as easy as that. As GJGB. It Ok at any time although I would try and avoid the long rains if that was important enough.

When not to go?

European School Holidays, Christmas and Easter.

Preferences. Onset of rains for birding, late September early October for getting wildlife to the Waterholes.

Beaches? I understand there are some down by the coast but I have never seen one.

uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to go - what is your preference and why please

Thank you for all your advice so far :)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to go - what is your preference and why please

HI skr80 regarding TBBC the best time to visit is from October to Feb one of the most beautiful beaches we have visited several times. there can be lots of sea weed in the other months but still worth a visit as this is the food of the turtles

regarding safari there are lots of local tour operators that can organise at a lot cheaper than back in England

TBBC is so friendly and no hassle from the beach boys,

6. Re: When to go - what is your preference and why please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 05:17