We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa Weather Report

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Mombasa Weather Report

I did a daily weather report, on the Mombasa Forum, for two or three months because lots of people were worried by weather forecasts when we in reality were often baking in the sun. The weather forecasts are based on mathematical models, and percentage probabilities, when it says rain or thunderstorms it just means there is a certain percentage chance of there being a shower or a thunderstorm somewhere in the area at some point within the 24 hours.

When it does rain here the showers tend to be relatively short but torrential and they can be very localised, it can be raining on one beach and fine on another a couple of miles away. Any longer showers tend to be overnight.

The forecasts often frighten people that's why I started that thread to give feedback about what the weather is actually like rather than what the forecast says, I stopped when I went back to Europe for 3 weeks. I've had a few requests to start it up again so here we go....

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Yesterday was a beautiful day, hot and sunny with a lovely cooling breee, though there were times during the day when the breeze rose to a strong wind, a few gusts nearly blew me off my motorbike on Links Rd in Nyali, and on the Malindi Highway between Bamburi Beach and Shanu.

Today is fine but overcast so quite a bit cooler, around 29º which many holidaymakers will find a comfortable temperature

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

The last two days were beautiful, sun, blue skies and a nice cooling breeze.

This morning has been overcast with greyish cloud. as it was on Saturday morning, but then it burned off around midday and the afternoon was hot and sunny, we'll see whether the same happens today.

(personally I would like a good torrential overnight downpour because the dirt roads round here have crumbled into fine sand and its deep in places, means the back tyre of my motorbike with its knobbly tyre is squirming about all over the place. A good overnight soaking would settle it down a bit)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

The sun burned the cloud away around mid-day yesterday and the afternoon was sunny and very hot.

it looks like we could be in for more of the same today as it has been overcast so far (around 8.30 am) which will suit me as I'm playing golf this morning, so should be on the final holes by the time the sun breaks through, and will be able to enjoy it from the shade of the wonderful colonial style fan-cooled verandah of the clubhouse.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Thursday and Friday were back to normal, hot sun and blue skies but with a strong cooling breeze that has increased to a wind in exposed places at times.

This morning is beautiful, sun, blue sky with the odd flimsy, fluffy white cloud, and its very still, no breeze at the moment.

For those of you who know Mtwapa Bridge, something very strange happened yesterday. Traffic was held up and we were crawling along when the reason for the hold up became apparent. A very large earth moving dump truck had gone through the safety rails and was hanging from the bridge by its rear wheels with its nose resting on the river bank below. How it had done this is a mystery as the bridge is quite narrow, just two lanes wide and the truck was at right angles to the bridge. Hope the driver and any passenger were OK, if they were they were extremely lucky as a couple of metres further and the truck would have gone completely over as the bank is steep, and a couple of metres more and the would have been in the creek. When I came back the traffic was horrendous because they were trying to pull it out using a very large truck with a towing link on the back. I would be very surprised if they would be able to pull it up, though they may have been able to drag it along until the slope flattened. When I saw it first I thought they would need a crane. I'll find out if it worked in a couple of hours on my way to Bamburi Beach

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

It was a beautiful day yesterday, hot and sunny, perfect for a Sunday at the beach. There was a strong cooling breeze coming in off the sea, that the kite surfers were taking full advantage of.

This morning the sun is peeking through some hazy cloud cover.

There is no sign of any rain, personally I'd like a good ovenight dowsing as the sand on the roads is getting deeper and deeper and riding the motorbike on them is becoming more of an adventure each day, plus the dust and grit is getting everywhere.

(BTW The dump truck had gone by the next morning so they must have managed to pull it off somehow)

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Hi Doffcocker. It is a bit cloudy here in Galu beach also, but still so warm that the cloud is quite nice. Every day here the kite surfers are having a marvellous time. Today the breeze is lighter, but may pick up as the day goes on. We are thoroughly enjoying Kenya and the South Coast!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Yesterday was a mix of cloud cover and sunny spells, so a degree or so cooler than the recent norm. Today so far has been similar though with more sunny periods than cloudy ones

Hi Buckhorn, Glad you are enjoying your trip.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

I've really not got back in the swing of this since I restarted it, five days since the last update.

Those 5 days have been pretty much the same, generally hot and sunny but with cloudy periods, especially in the mornings. This morning was quite cloudy but it cleared around midday and the afternoon has been sunny with no clouds but a little bit of haze. The breeze is quite strong at the moment, there have been times, especially early evening, in the last few days when the breeze has become quite a strong wind.

Still no sign of rain, the dust is everywhere and there are places on the roads where the sand has got so deep its even affecting the car never mind the motorbike

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

We seem to be in a pattern at the moment cloudy or part cloudy mornings and sunny afternoons, with a cooling breeze occasionally rising to a stiff breeze or wind.

Yesterday morning was overcast and cool (around 26º) until around 12.30 then the sun came out and the afternoon was hotter (around 31º - 32º)

This morning was beautiful first thing but around 9 am a hazy cloud cover started to form.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

hi

we are coming to kenya on the 23rd march and getting married on the 2nd april can you tell me what the weather is like at this time of the year thanks

cheryl