We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tsavo east or west?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
tsavo east or west?

im trying to decide between tsavo east or west the company does offer a combined package to both parks but advises against it as we are only planning a 2 day safari and they said time will be wasted travelling so im trying to decide between tsavo east or west..... and what lodge to stay at

many thanks

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tsavo east or west?

From my experience, the general game viewing is much better in Tsavo East than West.

Searches on the forum will show you more discussions on this.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tsavo east or west?

ive searched through

my options are

tsavo east staying at voi

tsavo west

tsavo east and west staying at Ngulia safari lodge / Kilanguni Serena lodge

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tsavo east or west?

Your choice is not bad but why not combine tsavo east, west and amboseli to enjoy the kilimanjaro offer by staying 2 nights at kilaguni serena and amboseli serena costing you 3 days safari from mombasa....just drop us your suggestion...

4. Re: tsavo east or west?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 January 2012, 13:05
5. Re: tsavo east or west?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: tsavo east or west?

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tsavo east or west?

A combination of tsavo east and saltlick would be the best at this time of the season as this region is green and difficult to view wild animals and this combination would give you great chances if you are a nature lover....check others option

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tsavo east or west?

Tsavo East is for the red Elephants and of course much more game around like Giraffe, Antilopes, Buffalo, Dik Dik, Oustrich and with some luck Lion, Gepard or the rare Leopard

Tsavo West you find the same game but it is more hard to see as it is very rocky area, so this park has to offer one of the best Landscapes and from the lava soil great flowers and trees.

Also here you have the Rhino sanctuary (but no gurantee to see a rhino) and the Mzima springs, these springs supply Mombasa with drinking water.

If you need to increase your chances to see a Leopard, forget about a five star lodge and book yourself at Ngulia Lodge which many times a Leopard comes in the evening by. It is a clean lodge but sorry the rooms are a little tired.

North Wales
Level Contributor
268 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tsavo east or west?

I am interested in bird photography as well as mammals and I had been warned there was little to see in West. Not true, from Kilanguni Lodge you have the most amazing view over the plain below and hundreds, over a 1000 maybe,of animals paraded in file heading towards the water holes in the evening. In the morning you have the possibility of viewing snow capped Kilamanjaro but get up early as it clouds over during the day. In the morning there was lots of game around the area too but not viewable from the hotel itself. Mizima springs is beautiful, as is the scenery in general in Tsavo West, well the area we saw anyway. The Serena Kilanguni is a bit special too and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and we were glad we had been as it was a holiday highlight in it's own right ( costs about £130 per night).

Tsavo East probably does have better game viewing on balance but having said that, when you have seen a few of the same beasts other things come in to play as well ( birds and scenery ?). We stayed at the Ashnil Aruba lodge which was pretty good too.(about £110 per night)

Remember the best viewing will be earlier and later in the day so between say 11.00am and 3.00pm should be considered as not the best time to go looking but whatever way you do it, you pay per 24 hours for entry in to each park.

Depending on where you are staying also makes a difference as you can enter Tsavo East via the Sala gate if you are staying in Watamu/Malindi or Voi if you are travelling from Mombassa area. The gate to Tsavo West is another 2-3 hours drive on the main highway heading north from Voi.

Don't skimp on the safari, it's probably the most memorable part of your holiday.Personally I was so glad I had a vehicle for just myself and my wife. More expensive but you can then choose what you want to see and how long you want to stop for and you also get the best views for both looking and taking photo's. I noticed that the mini bus style vans similar to the one we were in seated 6-7 but if everyone tried to stand up it would be very cramped indeed and in addition I didn't want to spend all my time chasing around eating dust from the procession of vehicles in front, all reacting to the latest sighting which may well have moved by the time you get there anyhow.

Good luck in your viewing, making the right choice for your trip will make a difference though.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tsavo east or west?

hmmmmm im for a decision tsavo east sounds like the best to see game but then tsavo west has rhino santuary and mzima springs which i have been told is amazing ahhhhhhhh needa make a decision now lol