We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

container shippment to kenya mombasa

Darmstadt, Germany
6 posts
Save Topic
container shippment to kenya mombasa

well ive been readind the threads on shipping containers to Kenya and so far it all sounds discouraging

I reside in Germany wanted to know if there is any one out there who has had a hussle free shipment,

wanted to ship some second hand electronics ,ive contacted a few shipping agents (kenyan) and they all say it shouldnt be a problem

any one with some tips??

thanks in advance

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

Tom, if you have goods worth half a container, it will be worth your while to take up the whole container as it will work out cheaper than sending it as part of a consolidation - sharing a container with someone else. Let it be half empty! If you speak to the agent please ask them to give you LCL (less than container load) and FCL (full container load) prices including breakbulk fee for LCL. If all the documents are in good order clearing in Mombasa port does not require any chai money. I am actually quite disappointed that this was discussed in the thread. On one hand we all talk about corruption in Kenya and that it really has to stop, from the other hand people are happily helping corruption to blossom. If we all start from ourselves there will be less corruption, that's for sure!

I know the process in every detail and will be happy to give you an advice over PM if you want. One thing - customs are very keen on containers with personal effects and do check such containers thoroughly, so make sure that if you have anything new it is properly declared to avoid fines and penalties, new goods will attract duty and VAT, or make sure you do not have anything new there. Also check that by the time you are ready to receive the goods all your paperwork is processed and you have all the documents for clearing. Port gives only 4 free days and storage starts from the 5th day. Clearing a container within 4 days is possible provided all paperwork is completed. There are legal ways of getting a longer free period, there are also a lot to consider if you want to avoid unnecessary delays and charges.

Anyway, if you want further details PM me. Otherwise good luck and welcome to Kenya!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Edited: 05 June 2013, 23:00
22. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 18:35
Edited: 06 June 2013, 18:35
23. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 11:48
24. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Edited: 06 June 2013, 18:35
25. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

26. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

27. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

28. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

Hi Larissa

I don't doubt for one minute what you say in your post about Mombasa Port but I am only writing from my personal experience and that of friends that have suffered the same fate as ourselves with having to give Kitu Kodogo. You are one lucky lady and I do not mean that in any derogatory sense !

One friend decided he was not going to give a bribe and ended up with a container that had been rifled through and much of his valuables gone. No-one likes paying a bribe but in certain cases it is a necessity IMHO.

Malaika you too are very lucky, the majority of people would love to be able to send boxes by Air Freight FOC instead of the long process by sea but unfortunately my Guardian Angel has yet to grant me that wish, I can wait in hope!!!

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: container shippment to kenya mombasa

Hi marym062, thank you :) I also do not doubt that there are some unscrupulous customs officers who create this environment and unfortunately some people are victims of such conditions. This is sad indeed especially when people bring their personal stuff which means a lot to them. Also it is awful when people bringing charity and donations are put into the situation whereby they are forced to part with money in addition to what they pay to the government.

Also unfortunately some "briefcase" agents often mess up the clients by doing things wrongly or are even together with customs in "extracting" money. We also know of cases when actually there has been nothing wrong with containers or lose shipments but some agents claimed to the customers that some chai needed paying and just pocketed the money.

Things are far from marvellous, sadly so, but it is possible and the cases are there daily that things get cleared on time without any bribes and everyone is happy :) As in any sector of service industry it is important to deal with right people :)

Larissa