We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Could I be the only one who is bothered by bathrooms in safari camps that don't have privacy ? Even at the height of romance , I would like to close the door of the toilet or shower and "do my business" without my partner peeping. How do 2 people who are forced by circumstances to share a room handle this border-less bathroom policy? Worst part is the more upscale an accommodation is the more likely that there will be no doors in the bathroom. Call me old school and with 25 years of living in Kenya and traveling a lot , may be I am, but is this where safari accommodation is headed? Pray where will lot stay - hope we don't have to scrap the bottom of tented camps.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Haha, I take it you are a lady? Great first post by the way.

I doubt many blokes have any issues with this - I find it a little humorous to be honest!

Which camps/lodges are you referring to?

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Don't think I've ever stayed anywhere where there are no doors on the bathroom. How strange. Where have you been staying?

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

I agree with Val - I've never stayed in a place with no doors on the bathrooms! The only place close was a tent with a brick built bathroom which one had to enter, then walk around a curve to sit on the loo which was hidden behind another wall.

How very odd! Which places are you referring to? Even the toilet on a bush breakfast had doors.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Was that Intrepids Min? Intrepids or Explorer possibly - sounds familiar.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

I as about to say the same but thought maybe the OP meant within the bathroom the toilet and the shower are both "open".

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Let me clarify that its "within the bathroom" where there is no door to separate the toilet cubicle and shower - Often you find a 1/2 wall but what's the use for a 5-footer? I am however not saying that the camps are bad but need privacy to do my things.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 10:41
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Not much different than most houses in the UK then.........

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Now in Bolivia I stayed in a place where there were 5 toilets all open and all in one room which were meant to be used by men and women at the same time! That really did freak me out.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Hi Val - can't quite remember which lodge it was, having said that, almost all the places I've stayed are as such - shower, toilet etc all in one large room. A few have had doors on the toilets.

Have to say, though, that after many years of living with hubby, there's not much that's sacred these days!!!

I'm a typical Yorkshire woman "just get on with it" attitude but I can see how some people would be put off by peeing in front of someone else!

Tricky one this, my only advice would be to go single and swallow the extra cost of the supplement.

Like you, Val, I too have been in shared bathrooms...... not pleasant!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Aren't all hotel bathrooms like this?