We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Could I be the only one who is bothered by bathrooms in safari camps that don't have privacy ? Even at the height of romance , I would like to close the door of the toilet or shower and "do my business" without my partner peeping. How do 2 people who are forced by circumstances to share a room handle this border-less bathroom policy? Worst part is the more upscale an accommodation is the more likely that there will be no doors in the bathroom. Call me old school and with 25 years of living in Kenya and traveling a lot , may be I am, but is this where safari accommodation is headed? Pray where will lot stay - hope we don't have to scrap the bottom of tented camps.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

I guess after having to do my business out in the bush with ZERO privacy around strangers, I was over the lack of privacy in the bathrooms of our accommodations. I was traveling with a friend who I work with . . . so it wasn't even my hubby or another family member. Thankfully, it really wasn't such a big deal for us.

P.S. Most bathrooms did have the toilet in the same room with the sink & shower, and with a door. There was one or maybe two that had a curtain type partition rather than a door, but even then, we got through it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Granted that works for some (although it is established that girls can't whistle!!) but I rather think the issue goes deeper than that. Not confined just to matters of relief.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Learn to whistle.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Or train a canary. Useful for singing while you're on the loo AND an early warning of air quality.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Living here is like going through childbirth: any dignity you may once have had soon goes out the window. Usually with the first bacterial stomach infection, which invariably happens when (a) you're with a new love interest; or (b) you're in close confinement with about 30 other people, many of whom you don't know very well. Don't worry - they've all been there at least 10 times before!

To add to everyone's experiences, I've rarely stayed anywhere in Kenya where there is a separate bathroom in entirety - and in even fewer places with actual solid walls and doors. Everyone has to do their business - why the inhibitions? If you don't feel comfortable, ask your OH to step outside for a few minutes :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Granted but time perhaps for a interpretation check.

The OP was not concerned about using bathrooms pers se but about the lack of doors and privacy.

It is a given that most "Bathrooms" will encompass shower/bath/washbasin and WC. Often this is the same as home.

Where the OP and I to some extent are raising concerns is that this whole 'ensemble' is not seperated from the living/sleeping zone by even a flimsy wall.

I don't think anyone would take serious issue with the Shower and WC in the same room. Where they take issue is that anyone using either is visible from the living quarters due to no door.

Given any new love interest FL, I would make darn sure where I took her. Somethings just should not be rushed..

Edited: 27 January 2012, 14:02
uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

just drop em sit on the old crapper and do your stuff

funny how it seems most westerners are shall we say embarressed by this , where as most africans dont give a s!!! so to speak

we all have to go at some time

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

No embarrassment at all. Just that there are some things best done in private!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

Put it this way, when you've had a dose of amoebic dysentery NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is sacred!!! Forget the embarassment, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

30. Re: Privacy in the bathroom - going, going , gone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:21