We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa restaurants

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mombasa restaurants

I'm planning to visit Mombasa after well over 20 years. I'm short listing some eateries of which I have fond childhood memories, and would appreciate some feedback. One is Singh Restaurant next to the Sikh Temple which I've noted great reviews about on TripAdvisor, the other place was a cafe which I can't remember the name of, it was located in Nkrumah road, opposite Ambalal House, a few doors away from Kenya Cinema. It used to serve the best Lamb pies I have ever tasted.

Another place is Al-Khadiri, that’s what I think it was called, which served mouth watering lamb kebabs and freshly squeezed Passion juice (heaven).

I remember succulent and delicious, Nya Choma, which were sold by a street vendor outside a bar opposite Blue Room, and Prawn Pilli Pilli in a goan café in Town. My memory is a little bit hazy but hopefully some one can point me in the right direction.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Sony,

I bet you are fond of the night out eateries,maybe you may could as well try out Tarbush. . . Next to the central police station,and besides are several nice joints you could enjoy your bajia,mishikakis ice cream. . . . Lately I kind of enjoy the tarbush restaurant mostly at night. . . .Except the tuk tuk noise which abounds.

Enjoy

John

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Thanks John. Do you know if the Al-Khadiri restaurant is still there? Unfortunately I can't remember where it was, and nothing shows up when I Google it. All I remember is it was not far from Moi Avenue where the tusks are, and next door to a hairdresser.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 10:05
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Hi Sony - i can see you're a fan of Asian style BBQ. Not sure about Al-Khadiri, but try Al-Hashmi & Tarboush.

PS: Singh Rest. is still going strong, but food isn't very consistent.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 10:37
London
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Thanks Stefan. This is a nostalgia trip, staying at the Travellers Beach for a week in June, having left Mombasa at age 10.

Family & relations have emigrated from Mombasa, and I am not in touch with any friends, which is why I want to do some planning beforehand.

I'm considering hiring a car , Mombasa is not a big Island so should be relatively easy to find way around using a good map. I believe traffic can be horrendous, but I'm not to fazed with this having driven about in Delhi.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Don't bother self driving, MBA is small enough to get around in a Matatu & Tuk Tuk. Yes - traffic is horrendous !!

And looking for a parking spot in town can be nightmarish, to say the least.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 11:44
London
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Thanks.

I've just googled Tuk Tuk and realized this are auto rickshaws, that actually makes more sense. These were not present when I left Mombasa.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Rozina Old Town is a nice place, when you walk from Fort Jesus towards the Old Port half way on your right. Great Food not to Expenive

mix of different types of food...

Tarbush Restaurant is for Chicken tikka and Kebabs and much more, next to

Central Police on Makardara Road

Singh Restaurant is still good, had some problems but at present pulled up ...

For Vegetarian Food, at the Hare Krishna Temple in Ganjoni evening from 06.00 pm to 9.00 pm very good Dhosa and other very low priced food. great quality

London
Level Contributor
109 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mombasa restaurants

Great info slofty - you really are the DE of Mombasa :) thanks!

9. Re: Mombasa restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:16