We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Essentials??

Redruth, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Essentials??

We are going on a Best of Kenya 7 day safari. Can anyone advise us of how much and what clothing we will need and any other essentials we should take. On the Jeeps what are the seats like, do we need to take a blow up cushion?

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Essentials??

To start you off

A good sports bra if you are a woman

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Essentials??

1. A fleece for the early morning safaris

2. Anti malarials and good insect repellent

3. Good pair of binoculars

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Essentials??

There is a good list in the 'FAQ - What should I pack for going on safari?' on the right of this page

Redruth, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Essentials??

thanks for your replies. i hadnt noticed the FAQs on the side. anyone know where you can get strong blow up cushions from, have been looking but no luck so far

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Essentials??

Try a camping shop, or B & M (if you have one )You might be lucky at one of the £ shops

Edited: 04 June 2012, 10:08
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Essentials??

There's quite a selection on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=inflatable+cushion&x=15&y=14

Bristol
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Essentials??

Evenings at the Safari Lodges are 'smart casual' - no need to dress up. Evenings can get cooler so take a lightweight cardigan or similar, plus some light longer trousers. Sweatshirt or warmer jumper useful for early morning sarari starts. Also, a packet of baby wipes or similar - useful for loo stops outside the parks (not too clean ...) and for clean ups along the way. Take a bag of (wrapped) sweets to hand out to the Masai at the Park Gates - they will hound you to buy their tourist rubbish - just say No alot and offer them a sweet instead. Dont buy the 'safatri hats' on sale at the Park Gates - with a covered mini-bus you wont need one.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Essentials??

Please don't "hand out" anything to the Maasai. It's considered condescending and patronising. They are not children. They are pastoralists and do not need (or usually even eat) sweets. Sweets are also extremely bad for teeth, particularly in a community that has no access to dental care or toothbrushes.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Essentials??

Although the seats in the Land Cruisers or Mini vans are not uncomfortable (and getting excited over the wildlife will take your mind off things), I have a back that sometimes can fight with me. I take 2 of those small travel pillows and a couple of old pillow cases. I use one to cushion my tailbone. When it gets flat, I just toss it in the trash and use the second one. I actually have more of an issue with the airplane seats. I found a very nice, self inflatible cushion through L L Bean (just under $20) which folds up into a very small roll and weighs nothing. It fit really nice in my purse and when the plane seat became uncomfortable, I just got it out and sat on it. It helped a great deal. Don't think though, I trust it on the potential sudden up and down jarring you might get on the African roads. It might pop the cushion. I also found it very useful on the hard plastic airport seats for waiting.

Laurena

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Essentials??

Pound shop !!! either Truro or Plymouth and excellent mozzy - wipes - creams - bracelets & bite relief creams