We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BATH
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

Any info much appreciated!

My partner & I are looking to visit Kenya Sept 2013 - far away I know but want to book in advance! I have been before back in 2005 - staying at Voi Safari Lodge & Kilanguni.

I have researched many places to stay & emailed JT SAFARIS - he recommended many places, for a 3 night/4 day safari.

I think we are leaning towards Salt Lick Lodge in Tsavo West but cant decide whether to stay in Severin Safari camp also in Tsavo West or stay in 3 different places - Tsavo West/East & Amboseli??

Its so confusing as its such a fantastic place I want to make the right choices!!

Thankyou!

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

Can recommend Salt Lick but not JT (though that's another story) for one because Sarova Salt Lick is not in Tsavo West, it is in the Taita Hills reserve. Lovely place, more game or rather easier to find than Tsavo West. They do night drives too.

In Tsavo East, Galdessa is a must if you can stretch to it! Severin sounds really nice though we stayed at Voyager Ziwani which was our favourite. Check out this post and some pics too of Severin:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g303978-i10451-k…

Less moving between places the better, if you can :-)

england
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

We've just come back from doing a safari and stayed at Severin Safari Camp and highly recommend it. We also did Ashnil Aruba which was also very nice.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

I would say, if you can swing it, go to Finch Hattons. A marvelous place, just ask my grandchildren.

Jim

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

I'll confuse you even more, have a look @ Bigi Camp in Tsavo East

http://www.epiya-chapeyu-camp.com/

It's my kind of place, rustic & set in natural setting.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

My favorites for Tsavo West are Serena Kilaguni and Voyager Ziwani, Tsavo East it would be Satao tented camp.

There are also some very nice reserves that boarder both the Tsavo parks and these have some good places to stay, Taita Hills boarders Tsavo West with Salt lick lodge and bordering Tsavo East is Ngutuni wildlife reserve which has Ngutuni Lodge. The best option for game viewing is Ngutuni with abundant game. In March we managed to see all 3 big cats plus many of the larger plains game found in Tsavo, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, zebra and so on with the added advantage of less people than Tsavo.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

Severin in West

Satao in East

BATH
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

Thankyou all for your information....I'm more confused than ever, I've researched so many places!!!

I'm leaning towards Saltlick Lodge, Severin Safari Camp as we really want a tented experience aswel....but I can't decide where to do a 3rd night...Tsavo East or Amboseli??? I like the look of Ol Tukai Lodge in Amboseli if JT use them? As I'm a elephant lover & read it's best to go there for them! Is it wise to do 3 different lodges/camps? I don't want to be limited as we want to do as much as possible!

So confused!!!!

Thanks again! Laura

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

if you are an elephant lover go to Satao camp in East the water hole is right in front of the tents (not fenced) we had elephants there day and night everyday. We even had elephants walking right next to us while sitting the the bath in the bathroom of our tent, It had a huge window right next to the bath.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

If you love Elehants:

1. Satao Camp Tsavo East

2. Ol Turkai Amboseli

3. Salt Lick Lodge

you will enjoy

BATH
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsavo West & East - places to stay??

Slofty - Im a definate on Salt Lick, Satao Camp is looking good, I'm now worried about the amount of travelling as people are saying try not to move around too much - should I stay in

-Salt Lick - settled on that as it looks fab!

-Severin Camp then go on to

-Satao Camp in the East - not essential in that order!

But I'm reading Amboseli has great views of Kili?! Thankyou for your post! :)

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations