We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

Hi all,

Been combing the reviews for nigh two weeks now and really having trouble making sense of the accommodation options in and around Mombasa. This will be our first trip to Kenya, so I'm happy to hear from anyone with firsthand experience…

We're a couple in our 30s coming from China and staying two nights in late August around Mombasa before continuing on the safari circuit to the Masai Mara

I've looked all the way down to Diani and most all the places I'm seeing are either big resort-type places that cater to tour groups or villa complexes that market to families on extended stay -- we're in neither camp. We're looking for small, relaxed accommodation, ideally of the directly beachfront cottage/tent/villa variety. Very willing to pay for the right place but certainly not seeking out luxury food, spa, etc. I'd plan to snorkel and perhaps scuba dive while the missus relaxes in a chair by the beach or pool. An excursion into town for dinner would be nice, provided that's not ill-advised. Obviously, we'd need at least breakfast included and full-board would be fine for such a short stay.

Anyone care to make recommendations?

Thanks for reading and many thanks!

JT

mombasa
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

you can try athina tree beach guest house next to reef hotel north coast of mombasa,or sunrise beach resort and lastly for a more cheap accomodation you can try mombasa backpackers they have a place you can camp and also they have rooms at a cheap price

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

What about Stilts Backpackers? Very popular with both the resident and non-resident market here because of its affordability http://www.alibarbours.com/eco_camp.html

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

Consider Tiwi Beach, it's before Diani Beach after Ferry crossing

http://www.hillparktiwibeach.com/

It's beach front with a pool.

Not that many options in Bamburi/Nyali for budget accomm. with pool/beach front.

There's Kahama Hotel in Bamburi, walking distance to the beach.

http://www.kahamahotel.co.ke/

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

I'm guessing neither Mombasa Backpackers nor Stilts Backpackers would be what you're looking for!

I would check out some of the more "mid-range-boutique" places on Diani beach - look at Diani Marine or Kenyaways or more expensive Asha Cottage. All nice places, with good atmosphere, lively and a bit interactive but not with animation teams leaping around, and all with nice pools and right on the beach.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Richard

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

If you've sufficient funds then Tijara Beach will more than fill your needs. However, it's not cheap but worth every shilling! It's conveniently situated only 15 minutes from either Diani airstrip or the Likoni ferry.

http://www.tijarabeach.com/

6. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2012, 18:35
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

Thanks a lot , Richard. "Mid-range boutique" pretty much describes the kind of place we're looking for and I'm glad to know Coast has these kinds of options. Asha Cottage was already on our list but I hadn't noted the others you recommended yet. The agency we're using for the trip has been fabulous on the safari route but has been steering us towards way-too-big properties around Mombasa. I'll take these to them and see what they can arrange.

Will also take a look at Tijara Beach -- those cottages look fabulous too.

Thanks again to all for reading and the thoughts!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

JT. We're staying at Asha for 3 weeks over Christmas 2013. Unfortunately we can't afford Tijara for that length of time. :-(

Enjoy your trip.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

"Will also take a look at Tijara Beach -- those cottages look fabulous too."

Tijara Beach is lovely - best mate stayed there for a long weekend a couple weeks back. Very private, lovely location. If you can afford it you won't regret it!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any recommendations for smaller beachfront places?

I'll update everyone when we return after our week at Tijara in mid September, always assuming we survive a night at the ACEA!!!!

;-)

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations