We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

35mm film

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
35mm film

im going stocked up with 35mm film as i prefer to use this format than digital ( old skool n all that lol ) is 35mm film availible to buy in mombasa just incase i run out thanks oh and only 3 weeks to go lol

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 35mm film

I am speaking from 2 year old knowledge, but last time I was there, all of the film I saw was nearing it's expiration date. Unless you find a professional photography store, you are likely not going to be able to find film that was stored in a cool dark environment. Better to stock up with a little more than what you think you will need. Lat time I used film my daughter (professional photographer) insisted that we purchase lead lined film pouches and keep them in dry bags during the trip. It might seem like overkill, but it worked great. Despite spending 2 weeks along the coast in near constant rain, then traveling over to the Mara where it again rained most of the time, every roll of film was perfect (not every picture of course).

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 35mm film

I can't think of anywhere in Mombasa that would stock film.

Richard

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 35mm film

thanks looks like i best stock up some more then

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 35mm film

Go digital young man!

Took me a while to see the light (Minolta 9900 anyone?) but now every time I hit the delete button I give a thought to how much I have saved by not paying for film, development etc., just to bin it!

You can rattle off shots like a machine gun and it don't cost a penny!

Edited: 15 July 2012, 11:10
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 35mm film

T'other half got some film in Nakumatt last year. Can't recall the speed - maybe 400. He's like you and can't go digital.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 35mm film

it maybe easier and cheaper to go digital but theres nothing like the flicking through photos youve just had developed . i suppose id rather read a propper book than a kindle .

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 35mm film

Stock up before you go.

Quality wise film is superior to digital however it's very costly, make a mistake with digital you just hit delete and start again with 35mm it's a waste.

Also with film there is the inconvenience & expence of developing.

Shouldn't knock film too much though, Laurence of Arabia made 50 years ago (on 70mm film) is regarded as the highest picture quality ever, unequalled by digital technology and Hollywood.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 19:52
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 35mm film

Tell me again, how much did Lawrence of Arabia cost to make?

Whist there are still some quality issues with Digital, I can still member getting back from trips, forking out ££s and waiting eagerly for the four days for the results only to open the packets to flick through the results and exclaim "what the heck did I take that for?"on every other one. Bird flown, Lion with backside to camera, Elephant doing something unmentionable, or just plain crap exposure.

And then where to keep the ones that are worth keeping? House full of shoeboxes that you never look at again.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 35mm film

i like shoeboxes lol . now now i never meant to start a film is better than digital thread lol . thanks for the advice il stock up on plenty of film before i go .

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 35mm film

I know but it beats the heck out of "what is the weather going to be like" "Do I need Yellow Fever?" Visa's etc,

Take care and enjoy your trip. Put some pictures up for us all to marvel at.