We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer

Looking at book family holiday to Kenya for me,hubs children 13 & 8.

Been looking at voyager or baobab - anyone have preferences as to which one is better with children.

Also we want to do a safari, what would you say is a reasonable time as in how many days & nights would you recommend with children? I was hoping for 4 nights??

Also when would you start to get quotes from safari company??

Are there any of you that have taken children and can offer tips?

Mombasa, kanya
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer

Hi booking an African Safari needs to be done early and carefully,especially when the issue about Children come in,it is always advisable to consider the children before planning,Kenya makes a good option because you can combine a beach holiday in Mombasa with a few nights or so at the Tsavo National Park and Amboseli which is just a few hour's drive away from Mombasa.

While parking for your holiday remember to park a few items in favor of the kids,e.g scooping shovel and other toys that kids can use to play with at the beach,some hotels do offer them but always at extra costs.While on the bush avoid long and exhausting itineraries,let the kids have time to eat at the right time and have enough time to rest and be ready for another day of fun!.

Your choice for four nights sounds great,try by starting your safari with one of the nearest parks of the three major ones then followed by the furthest,this will help balance the distance and give you all amble time to rest at each destination.(Tsavo west,then visit Amboseli,followed Tsavo east,this will not be so tiring for the kids and will end up being a perfect safari for both you and your Children.

Booking early helps you have amble time to plan and get everything set in time,last minute bookings or asking for quotes can be disappointing at times.

Baobab beach hotel lies on the coast while Voyager lies on the North side of Mombasa,Baobab is much smaller and quite an idle place for kids to enjoy the beach and the animators who keep them entertained.

Here is a sample itinerary idle for a family with Kids; Itinerary Summary

Day 1: Mombasa – Tsavo West National Park

Day 2: Tsavo West National Park – Amboseli National Park

Day 3: Amboseli National Park – Tsavo East National Park

Day 4: Tsavo East National Park – Mombasa.

hope that helps.

Good luck as you plan your perfect holiday.

Mombasa, kanya
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer

Sorry for the typo on my last post... i meant Baobab lies on the south coast while voyager lies on the North

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer

thats nice one Tsavo East -Amboseli then Tsavo west

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer

Thanks for your advice yeh it seems a lot of 2013 as already booked !

Thanks for the advice on safari tho much appreciated.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer

Voyager would be my choice. They have a good animation team who organise pool activities football, beach walks, etc to keep kids amused. They can use either the fun pool with water slide or the sports pool. The relax pool is adults only. They have adjoining rooms for families.

Voyager is only half an hour or so from the airport whereas Baobob is on the south coast so add another 1-2 hours transfer via the ferry. You would also do this journey for your safari.

Personally I wouldnt do a long road safari with kids and Amboseli is a long drive. I think you'd get the are we there yet! A couple of nights in Tsavo would be my preference. Pay a supplement for a private safari - a bus just for you. That way you can stop and start as you want. Also book lodges with pools so that they can let off steam in between.

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer

OK thanks for that also all information is great as it helps towards making a decision.

Redruth, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer

We returned yesterday from a week at Baobab, although there was an excellent animation team, there did not seem to be much on offer for younger children (under 10) there were a few children attending the playroom.

We did a 7 night Safari, it was amazing but tiring, i agree with the person who said about getting a personal vehicle. Make sure you have plenty of batteries as we didn't see anywhere to buy any and you will take loads of photos.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer

Ah! at least the North Coast still has one advantage over the South, loads of places to buy batteries! ヅ

Rugby
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer

Hi Cadburygirl, you might want to look at Turtle Bay Beach Club...a very child friendly hotel. My advice would be a 3day/2night safari to Tsavo east. This will be ample time to see all you need to see. Any longer your kids may get bored. Safaris are very exhausting and there can be long distances involved. Tsavo is the nearest game reserves to Mombasa. I would do the safari about midway through a 14 day stay. If you want a good operator have a look at Glorious safaris. Shadrack, the boss will tailor anything you want in your own safari van.This advice is based on my own experience from a couple of years ago with kids similar age to you. If you want any more info message me. Everyone should visit Kenya once in their life, but its not cheap so you want to get it right. Good luck...ps 151 sleeps till we go back Andy

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timer

Cheers BCFC Andy

Would you ever consider masai mara fly safari ??

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations