We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

Ladies and gents, could anyone tell me if you were charged by customs at Mombasa airport? I am looking to bring new and 2nd hand clothes out but I am unsure if I will be charged extra in duty or taxes. I will be flying with 1st Choice/Thompson. I have about 60kg and im a single booking.

Thanks for your help

Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

Personally in our experience we have taken out more than 10 kilos from Thomson and have been given the authorisation for that from Thomson Head Office and as everyone supports a different orphanage or school then perhaps we should all adhere as to what that orphanage requires.

As I said before we have never been stopped by the customs at MBA airport and the charity letter we receive does not give us a green light to take out any amount. The decision rests with Thomson.

In our view we will continue to take out what the orphanage requires i.e. the orphanage we support and we shall take out toys and games soft toys that the younger children love. and I can't see how a three year old would know even how to go about selling such an item.

Books which we are told by the founder to take out will still be taken out as she knows that I have a good connection with an a bookshop in Edinburgh and we will continue to do what we think appropriate for the orphanage we support.

As for raising cash we do not bring this with us - it is put into the account in the UK through the 'just giving' method.

We sponsor two children at the orphanage and a direct debit is taken off our bank accounts every month through the 'just giving account'.

Personally I think yes, advice can be given but it is up to the individual as to what they wish to do for the particular orphanage they support.!!

I am not telling anyone what they must or not do - I do what I wish and the orphanage/academy wish and will continue to do so.

We will cary on with the orphanage 'needs that we support and as part of the UK team I am constantly in touch with the trustee and the founder out in Kenya.

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

One small point which has been emphasised elsewhere. Please kindly try not to give our children sweets or anything which would give them dental problems. Dentists are expensive and not easily accessed.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

I didn't explain the toy problem very well......

The orphanage directors have asked us not to bring toys because the children don't value them and they cause all kinds of problems in the orphanage, at school and in the community. Within a few days of our visits there would be no toys. The older children would sell them and when they had none left to sell they would steal from the younger children.

Toys caused resentment and jealousy within the orphanage and from the very poor children in the community and similar problems at school.

Things that can be shared by children were not too bad - things like skipping ropes and balls but dolls, soft toys, cars were not a good idea at all.

And agree absolutely with Asifwe - giving sweets to children with no access to dental care is a very very bad idea!

Level Contributor
2,085 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

"I have managed to avoid paying any duty on goods carried as part of our baggage allowance."

That's a very good point. Obviously when we turned up with not only our luggage but also with 4 large boxes it attracted attention. I just think that it's sad that the needy children are in future going to be deprived of this clothing which will now end up in Tesco'c compacter. Because of our "generous" welfare state, local charities don't want the clothes.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

I have been stopped at MBA when I was returning from a work trip from Dar-es-Salaam. I had flown from Nairobi to Dar for 2 days, then Dar to Mombasa for one day before returning to Nairobi. I had hand luggage only.

Stopped and asked about my lap top. I told them I had bought it in Nairobi (true). Then he writes on the immigration entry stamp in my passport 'Lap top Kshs 150,000'.

What a bunch of tossers

26. Re: Charity luggage to Mombasa, customs charges??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question