We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friend expecting a baby

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Friend expecting a baby

Hi, a question for the locals/ex-pats/"people in the know"

We have a friend who is expecting a baby end Aug/early Sept and was wondering what would be an acceptable gift (obviously tempting fate here which I don't like doing)? My initial thought was a baby blanket but then wondered about the heat

Whatever we bring needs to be able to be packed in our holiday luggage so not too fragile and not too heavy

TIA

Wendy x

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Friend expecting a baby

Definitely a baby blanket is too hot for Mombasa. Have a look for something like a baby gym - example is here babysecurity.co.uk/products/3760/Tiny-Love-G…

Do not look at the price in the link, I bought mine much cheaper for example, but this gives your idea. Bright, soft, colourful, things hanging down, lots of textures, bits to touch on the mat, etc. This thing is foldable, usually they come in a kind of a bag, like a blanket, light and easy to carry yet it is a very good present!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friend expecting a baby

Thank you Larissa - or should that be asante sana ;-)

I'll look in to something like that then

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Friend expecting a baby

Karibu :) You are most welcome :)

Larissa

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friend expecting a baby

Hi, we found that basic things like clothes, powdered milk, decent nappies, etc, were very costly, in Kenya. It was (and still is) great when family or friends travel from the UK and are able to bring a few essential items.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 19:00
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friend expecting a baby

I have given baby gifts before and a baby blanket is most suitable as although we feel the heat Kenyan babies do not. All my Kenyan friends that have had babies have welcomed baby blankets and as they have often said to me with feeling the heat and not expecting them to use blankets " it's a good job you are not looking after a kenyan baby" as I would have them in shorts an t'shirts lol.

6. Re: Friend expecting a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 06:15