We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

On the 8th March 2011, our Monarch flight MON 2693 was delayed by more than 26 hours which resulted in an unscheduled overnight stay.

As a result of an EU ruling EC261/2004, passengers are entitled to compensation if flights are delayed ( subject to certain conditions )

The delay to our flight was caused due to landing gear being damaged upon arrival at Mombasa Airport. A part had to be flown in, and an engineer had to travel from Nairobi to carry out the work. Unfortunately, the tools required to carry out the work were not available at Mombasa and had to be flown in causing passengers to an overnight stay. Having complained to Monarch, they have at long last answered our complaint by saying the delay was caused due to 'unforeseen technical problems,

Whilst I can understand the initial delay, I cannot accept that their engineer would have travelled without the correct tools or checking that the correct tools were available at Mombasa Airport. We have been advised by the Civil Aviation Authority to send all details for their perusal and they will make a definitive decision. Is there anyone else out there who has suffered similar delays ?

Cheshire,England
Level Contributor
114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

I think we might have been caught up in that delay! Need to check the flight date but it sounds very familiar. Did you travel with Thomas cook and did they put you up at Travellers beach hotel? It is on m list of things to do to check this out following the new ruling. We did complain to Thomas Cook at the time but had no luck.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Yes, we booked through Thomas Cook and I have to say they were absolutely useless when dealing with the delay at Mombasa Airport. We received no information from their staff and it was every man/woman for themselves when it came to overnight hotels. we were eventually put up at the Sarova Whitesands and that is where we were told what had truly happened to the aircraft by Monarch crew.

Monarch have informed us they won't be paying compensation so we have referred the case to the CAA for their comments. We will definitely take legal action to get compensation. Monarch flew in an engineer to carry out the work only to find the correct tools weren't available in Mombasa. This could and should have been checked by Monarch and the engineer should have arrived with the correct tools for the job, so we hold them totally responsible.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Be very helpful for travellers if you keep updating this thread Cosh2 as you move along with your complaint/claims process as it will no doubt help plenty of people in future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

If the delay occured at Mombasa, the EU ruling may not apply (Probably doesn't). You might check the small print of the law, but I believe there are exceptions in certain airports and locations.

What did your travel insurance company say?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Monarch is an EU airline and is governed by EU rules and judgements. The CIvil Aviation Authority confirm this and the matter is now in her hands. My travel insurance are hoping Monarch will pay but I will now await the CAA decision and see how it goes.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Just a quick update. Monarch have been in contact to say they will not pay any compensation due to the flight suffering technical problems etc. CAA advise that we have a definate claim for compensation. So, have informed Monarch of our intention to pursue our claim through relevant legal channels, now awaiting their response! They now have 5 working days to offer recompense, interesting eh ?

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Cosh was this the flight where all passengers were put up at Nyali Beach hotel?

If so, we were on that flight and it was complete chaos when we got to Gatwick, where we passengers going on to Manchester had to get off the plane take our handbaggage to a desk on a different level where it was scanned then we were ushered back onto the plane. When the crew counted the passengers there were two short (not in height if you see what I mean). The crew then took all the hold baggage off the plane, placed it on the tarmac and we had to get off the plane, identify our bags and then get back on the plane. There were no bags left on the tarmac. However one passenger going to Manchester identified that her bags were NOT on the tarmac. They drove her to arrivals baggage and her bags were on the conveyor belt as if she were travelling to Gatwick. We noticed that Monarch stopped flying Man/Gat/Mba very soon after that. I wonder why.

Good luck with your claim. We didn't put in a complaint, my boss at work was sympathetic and didn't take an extra days holiday against my entitlement.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Not sure to be honest about the hotel situation. It was a mad scramble for buses once word got around that the flight would be further delayed until the following day ( mid day). We were sent to Sarova Whitesands which proved to be a bit of a nightmare as the room A/C did not work and the maintenance crew didn't actually get it working until after midnight!

Sorry to hear of your luggage problems at Gatwich prior to flying on to Manchester, It must have been very frustrating for you on top of everything else.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

File your claim in your local small claims court and inform Monarch accordingly. They'll soon pay believe me. Monarch are a total disgrace.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch Airlines Delayed Flight - March 2011

Thanks for advice, however, a small group of us have now contacted a claims solicitor who will act for us, I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle of a small claims court claim to be honest. Will keep you informed as we go along.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 13:30