We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombassa v Zanzibar

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Mombassa v Zanzibar

I am planning 4 day trip to either Mombassa or Zanzibar after a safari in Kenya.

I have heard Zanzibar is nicer but because of expensive flights Mombassa seem more viable.

For a difference of 400 USD (Zanzibar>Mombassa), do you think the difference in quality warrant the difference in price?

I am planning to do scuba diving and game fishing there. Since they are so close I assume not much of a difference there?

1. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 13:23
Hamburg
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

Hello!

I am highly in support of Adrian with Zanzibar rather than Mombaza

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

Hi,

Just a couple of points, if you go to Zanzibar you will not only have the cost of the flight but also a visa ($50) and you will need the Yellow Fever vaccine and certificate.

Mombasa Town is an island, the beach resorts are on the mainland to the north (Nyali, Bamburi, Shanzu) and south (Diani, Tiwi). The south coast beaches are nicer, the north coast beaches have bigger selection of attractions, bars, restaurants erc

shamba25
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

Hi - If you like beaches ,both Diani & Zanzibar are about the same - talculm powder sand, both are good places to relax, however I would say that Diani has the edge on Zanzibar. Once you have been to stone town, the night market & a spice plantation the only other thing left is the beach. On Zanzibar it takes approx 1 hour From one end of the island to the other. Both are the same for fishing, diving & relaxing. I would say there is more to offer in Mombasa Depending on what your looking for, Just relaxation then Zanzibar, a little more to do then south coast & as Doff as mentioned there is a vast array of things to do on the North coast .

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

hey how did you find 296 USD for return flights between Nairobi and Zanzibar? thanks.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

I have been to both in various capacities and have given my thoughts on both places a while ago, with my personal preference being of course the South Coast. Here we go :)

Not all beaches are crowded and on the Kenya coast from Lamu to Tanzanian border you will find a property suitable to your pocket and your requirements: from small and tucked away to big with lots of life, from secluded locations to busy developed areas with shopping malls, etc. so, unlike Zanzibar you can do something in addition to just spending time on the beach which you can also do on a Kenya coast of course. If you choose Mombasa (South or North) you have Mombasa Old Town & Fort Jesus, Haller Park, even Shimba Hills National Reserve for half a day to enjoy sundowners or a cup of tea with breathtaking views, Mombasa Marine Park (North) or Kisite Marine Park (South) for your water recreational activities such as snorkelling and diving, also dive centres all over both coasts, deep sea fishing, kite surfing, etc. In Mombasa super evening on a Tamarind Dhow, or the unique Ali Barbour's Cave restaurant on the South in addition to other places. Or, if you feel like doing nothing, do just that with the thought that you have an option! :)

Apart from not needing YF vaccination unless it is required for the country you are returning to, and no extra visa fees, you have a very short flight - 40 min - from Nairobi to the coast. Or you can fly directly from Mara or Amboseli or Tsavo to the south coast or Mombasa town.

Whichever place you choose, have a super stay in our part of the world!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

7. Re: Mombassa v Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 06:17