We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa itinerary

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Mombasa itinerary

We are a family of 4 spending 7 nights in Diani/Mombasa after our Safari.

We fly in to Diani Beach and fly out from Mombasa.

I am planning to stay the first few days at Diani and then last few at Mombasa.

Can anyone recommend how many days we should allocate to each place?

Thanks,

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mombasa itinerary

stay 6 days in Diani and then 1 Day in Mombasa on the day of departure to avoid the ferry on the last day

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mombasa itinerary

You can do a one night two days at shimba hill or tsavo East and a one day city tour.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mombasa itinerary

For Mombasa sightseeing is one full day enough?

For water activities such as diving, fishing, snorkelling its better to do it in Diani?

Jonesj_12: We would have done our Safari when we arrive Diani/mombasa so probably wont be going to Shimba Hill or Tsavo East.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mombasa itinerary

If you only want to visit the Town, Fort Jesus, Old Town , Old Port, Mama Ngina Drive (Lighthouse) one day is more then enough, if you want to visit the Haller Park, Bombululu Workshops and the Shanzu Girl Guide Workshop then you need at least two days.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mombasa itinerary

Brian,

Mombasa Town is on an island, while the beaches and main holiday hotels are on the Mainland to the North and South of it. Mombasa Town is packed, dusty and noisy, there are no beaches, diving, snorkelling etc on the island

The North Coast (Nyali, Bamburi, Shanzu) has most facilities, attractions, bars, restaurants, etc but the beaches aren't the best,. The South Coast. (Diani, etc) has nicer beaches, smaller hotels, etc and is less developed.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mombasa itinerary

Is there any reason why you want to stay in Mombasa? In town itself there is not much to do apart from visiting the Old Town Mombasa and Fort Jesus. This is a standard walking tour, altogether with the market, etc it takes approximately 2 hours if you take a guide. They take you through Fort Jesus, Old Town, Old Port, Market and back to Fort Jesus in 2-2.15 hours tops. You can also go and see handicraft factory - on the way to to airport, literally on the last stretch to the airport. Haller Park, Bombolulu, etc - these are on the north Coast, quite a way from Diani. Even Mombasa island would be quite a bit over an hour away from Diani with additional at least 40 min to the North coast if there is no traffic in town and on Nyali Bridge. Would you really want to spend the whole day traveling back and forth to see these places?

Depending on your time of flight, if it is in the afternoon or evening, you can visit Fort Jesus and Old Town on the way to the airport, just give yourself extra 3 hours allowance, leave your luggage with your transport and take a quick tour. And the rest of the time enjoy your time in Diani.

Well, good luck planning!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mombasa itinerary

yes. I am currently in Mombasa and in case you need any advice on any hotel, I will be here to help. I have just graduated on bachelors degree and I am doing freelance writing. Feel free to contact me

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mombasa itinerary

my advice is for you to stay in diani beach coz you seem to be most interested in swimming and diving

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mombasa itinerary

Thanks for your replies. The reason I am considering stay at two hotels is to experience two different areas.

Another question I have is do you recommend half board (bed, breakfast and dinner) or that just bed and breakfast? The difference is 70 USD per person per day. Since we are a group of 4, I assume with 70 USD * 4 = 280 USD per day we can get very decent dinner at hotel or elsewhere?

Looks it doesn't make sense to book half board?

10. Re: Mombasa itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations