We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay??

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where should we stay??

Where should we stay??

Hi I hope someone can help – myself, my partner and another couple want to go to Mombasa next year and we really want an all inclusive resort that is in a walking distance to some night/day time life. Every year we end up in the middle of know where in a country on a massive resort!! Boring!! Can any one advise an all inclusive hotel near some life?? Also we fancy a three day (2 night safari) can anyone recommend a company offering a good safari - one with a nice hotel (not camping!!) and should we book it before we go or when there??

Thank you in advance for your help

Charli

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,268 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay??

Hi,

Basically depends what you want, the North Coast (Bamburi Beach, Nyali, Shanzu) transfer from airport is easier and quicker, access to Mombasa Town is easier. The area is more developed, there are more attractions, things to do, etc and a much wider choice of restaurants, clubs, bars, shopping malls, etc. historically these hotels were much busier than the South Coast hotels, a major restricting factor was the fact that the South Coast is accessed by ferries, which in the past could add significantly to transfer time and used to suffer regular incidents. Now the new ferries have been in service for some time and the coxswains have learned how to sail them, traffic hold ups are much less frequent and incidents are much rarer.

South Coast (Diani, etc) has better beaches, is less developed, many hotels are smaller and were cheaper (because of low occupancy) than the North Coast ones, it now appears that English travel companies are dropping the North Coast hotels which have become too expensive for them (some are now in their Premium brochures) and are including the South Coast hotels in their brochures instead. North Coast hotels are now very quiet for long periods and English tourists seem to be in a minority.

Two popular AI hotels on the North Coast are Voyager on Nyali beach and Travellers on Bamburi beach. There is lots of info on the North Coast, things to do, bars, restaurants, etc and a map showing where everything is in the FAQs on the right of this page.

The fact that the UK Holiday Companies have changed their focus is reflected by the fact that majority of posts on this forum (as well as the South Coast forums, Diani and Ukunda) tend to be about the South Coast these days. So I'm sure several people will be along to post about the attractions of the South Coast.

As for safaris, What many Brits do is book a holiday package that covers flight and hotel then they book the safari separately. This has the advantage that you do not have to pack and vacate your room when you go on safari.

You can do this when you get there from local tour agents who often have reps on the beach (beach boys), you could do it with your tour companies rep (not recommended same safari - much more expensive and the profit doesn't stay in Kenya).

What many people do and is probably best, is to book with a local outfit but do your research, compare itineraries, costs, etc from the comfort of your own home by email. It saves you from wasting valuable holiday time tying to find a deal and you can also ask for advice on whether the itineraries are practicable and the prices reasonable by asking about them on this forum. there are several companies that are regularly recommended on this forum

These are names that keep cropping up in posts and reviews recommending them that you will see if you scroll back through the forum list or search for 'tour operators. in the search box immediately above the forum, but I'm sure people will also chip in with their recommendations

2. Re: Where should we stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 14:14
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay??

Bamburi Beach fits the bill. It's a lively beach with plenty of activity like watersports, boat rides,snorkeliing, etc.etc. There's a wide choice of bars & restaurants too. There's nite-club cum restaurant cum bar at the beach called Il Covo. Travellers Hotel is a good one with All Incl.

Diani is excellent too, but not as lively a Bamburi.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 12:44
Peterborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay??

Hi guys

Thank you for your comments – yes I thought it would be better to book the safari beforehand so I could look at the accommodation I have seen one Dania Three Days Tsavo East & Salt Lick Safari which looks nice and reviews look good.

I was thinking the north as none of us are really beach people – i had seen the Sarova white sands but it looks like a long way out from anthing?? I will have a look at the couple you have suggested thank you.

Charli

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay??

Hi Charli - Whitesands is also an excellent hotel on Bamburi beach. Also has All Incl option(best to confirm with them).

Nearby attractions to Bamburi is Haller Park, Ngomongo Cultural Village & Jumba Ruins in Mtwapa.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,268 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay??

I'm a regular visitor at Whitesands, I'm a member of its gym, it is one of the two best hotels, the only two 5 star (Kenyan marking), on the North Coast. It is very big, has government ministers staying there and lots of conferences. It has a very long beach frontage.

It is far from out of the way. In Mombasa the best restaurants, bars , etc are at the coasts. Within walking distance of Whitesands during the day there are lots of decent restaurants, including the excellent Giardino (recently No.1 on Tripadvisor, its just been overtaken by Whitesands own buffet restaurant - Pavilions) several beach bars, shopping malls, Haller Park, etc. At night it's better to take a taxi than walk, and there are lots of bars and clubs Kahama, Cheers, the Lounge, Bob's, Il Covo, Sheba, Yellow Ribbons, Suli Suli, Big Tree, etc and restaurants within a short ride. A slightly longer ride brings Kenya's 'Las Vegas' / 'Sin City', Mtwapa with it's literally hundreds of bars and 3 of the best restaurants (certainly location wise) in the area. (Details of all these bars in the FAQ on bars, and the restaurants in another FAQ and their location is marked on the Google map in the FAQs).

Peterborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay??

Thanks Doffcocker all the info is much appreciated. Do you know the name of the other 5* (Kenyan rating) hotel??

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,268 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we stay??

Hi,

Yes it's the Serena at Shanzu, it's smaller than Whitesands

Peterborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we stay??

Brill - thank you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we stay??

Doff is spot on with his information (as usual), the only point I would add is Whitesands is far livelier than Serena Beach, some friends stayed in Serena last year as a change from Whitesands but said although it was a lovely hotel, Whitesands had far more going on especially in the evenings including Cocos Bar.