We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Africa - Tips please

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Africa - Tips please

Hi

My daughter and her husbad are going to Kenya for their belated honeymoon in February. This will be their first trip to Africa and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. They are also going on a 4 day safari so tips on what to take would be very useful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

The link below should help

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c3322/Kenya…

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

Thanks for that Bruce, I had already made a note of everything on that list.

I'd be grateful for any further advice.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

Drink only bottled water

Bring good hand sanitizer

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

My friend on the Tanzanian forum would say something like...

Leave your expectations and preconceptions at home... pack your curiosity and openess...

he'd also say

Visitors come to East Africa for the animals... they return for the people...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

Hi,

Lots of good tips and useful info in the FAQs on the right of this and other forum pages (if you are on a smartphone you will have to request the desktop page to see them)

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

Thanks for the tips. One of my daughter's main worries is about what clothes to pack. They are staying at an all inclusive hotel - do guests normally dress up or is it generally casual attire? For a safari, are shorts okay or would long trousers be better?

7. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 11:35
8. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 11:35
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

On the coast it will depend on the hotel, so worth checking dress code for dinner. Some will require long trousers for men and no flip flops etc. I have seen people turned away from restaurants, so check first. Safari lodges are more relaxed.

Not very helpful I know but it will all depend on the place they are staying and the type of safari they are on. I dress to avoid nasty mosquito bites after dark....long sleeves (or pashmina) long skirts / trousers. The safaris I go on are very laid back and occasionally go in straight to eat from safari, without freshening up. All depends on what is on the agenda.

10. Re: First time to Africa - Tips please

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations