We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September or Dec/Jan for Kenya Safari (Nairobi & Mombasa)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
September or Dec/Jan for Kenya Safari (Nairobi & Mombasa)

I am looking at booking a safari and just wanted some adive on the best time of year. I only have two slots and the prices aren't a lot different so need to make the desk ion on dates. It would either be the first two weeks in September or leaving on the 29th December for two weeks and it would be a weeks safari followed by a week on the beach in Mombasa area. The safari starts from Nairobi and ends in Mombasa. So basically I need personal opinions on the weather and wildlife differences in the months as from what I've researched they don't look much different except little more rainfall.

Thanks for your help.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September or Dec/Jan for Kenya Safari (Nairobi & Mombasa)

We have two 'rainy seasons' here, the Long Rains, (historically April to June) and the Short Rains (October to November / early December) that is if they come at all. September will be a little cooler than late December, as by then we are building to the hottest time of the year (January and February). It's possible that the Short Rains might start early in which case you might get more rain in September, but neither is a 'wet' time normally.

As for wildlife it is very likely that the great migration will be in the Maasai Mara in September, they will be gone by late December. Some people prefer to safari when the migration is not there as it means the crowds of tourists aren't there either so they can enjoy a quieter more peaceful safari.

2. Re: September or Dec/Jan for Kenya Safari (Nairobi & Mombasa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations