We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate?

England
Level Contributor
633 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate?

Please can you tell me how many Kenya shillings do you get to the UK pound now? Is it better to exchange money in Kenya or in UK before I travel?

Thanks

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate?

We always change ours in Kenya - not at your hotel! Dreadful rates usually offered. It's around 140/-. Central Bank of Kenya is 142 so you usually get a couple of Shillings less at forex.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 19:03
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate?

Depending how much you require, the best rate in the UK is normally from icici bank .com. Tonight they are giving KS136 to the £ so if you want the convenience of KS in your pocket before you leave home then I can highly recommend them.

Personally I don't worry about the fact that I might get a couple of more KS in Kenya. It's a minuscule amount when compared to the overall cost of your vacation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate?

what about the black market in the boarder?

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate?

If you are staying on the north coast of Mombasa your best place (IMHO) to exchange money is Shaban`s

littler supermarket. Go inside the shop (, not the boys outside)

Edited: 31 January 2014, 17:55
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate?

Wouldn't advise anyone to do dodgy black market deals. Not worth the risk.

6. Re: Exchange rate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations