We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

Hi,

I am travelling to Mombasa in April and am considering a Turkish Airlines flight departing Mombasa at 4am. I am a solo 27 yr old European female and wanted to ask if I should avoid being alone at this time?

There is another option for me to fly out with a large group of people with Kenya Airways and connect at Nairobi for a few hours-departing on a 1:30AM flight. Is this any better? I'd prefer the 4am Mombasa flight as it gets me home with the least stops/layovers but would rather be safe.

My hotel will be providing airport transport however my concern is upon arrival.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,719 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

There's no reason you shouldn't be safe. The terminal is within a 'secure' area. You go through a checkpoint on entering the grounds. It is a very short very open walk from the drop off point to departures and there is a security man outside the entrance. Only people with boarding cards are allowed in. Once you are inside it is a single large hall with the check in desks along the back wall. There are airport and airline staff around and of course your fellow passengers. After check in you go through more security into the waiting area, before being checked again as you go to your gate

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

Also use a hotel taxi if you can, as they are trusted by the hotel.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

Thank you both for the feedback. I will definitely be using a pre booked taxi from the hotel. How long should I arrive at the airport in advance at this time in the morning? Most people advise 3 hours in advance for an International flight but is this essential so early in the morning? Basically I'm asking how busy the airport is and are shops open etc. At home, our airport is extremely quiet at 4am so just wanting to make sure I don't arrive in ghost town hours in advance and alone without an open coffee shop even. Also the taxi ride to the airport-will this be safe? Many thanks and sorry if I sound ignorant. Anyone having traveled with the Turkish Airlines flight to Istanbul-your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

I'd get to the airport 90 minutes before the flight. Where will you be staying in Mombasa?

I have never taken a flight at 4 am from Mombasa, but I am sure a coffee shop will be open - duty free not sure about.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,719 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

At that time of night the roads should be very quiet, if going to the airport during the day I usually add an hour because the causeway from Mombasa Town out to Changamwe could grind to a halt, it's much better since they limited heavy goods vehicles to the inside lane, but it will be deserted when you are on it. I have been to and from the airport in the early hours and the roads are deserted the only danger I've seen is the odd stray drunk in danger of staggering out in front of the taxi.

The vast bulk of the flights into and out of Mombasa are between 5.30 when the first of the 10 flights a day to Nairobi leaves and midnight when the last one lands, as far as I can see there are only two flights outside this timeframe, yours and an Ethiopian flight to Addis via Kilimanjaro at around 2.30. So the airport should be very quiet, but there may be quite a big queue to check in if they only have a couple of desks open.

It's a long time since I flew out of the International hall, (usually fly out via Nairobi) and I can't remember ever flying out at that time so like RWA I don't know if the shops will be open, though generally in Kenya if there is money to be made someone will seize the opportunity.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

Thank you both for your responses and feedback. Feeling a lot more confident now-all that's left is to book the flight.

Many thanks!

Margate
Level Contributor
218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

You will be fine the hotel transfer will take you right inside the airport car park and the airport is absolutely safe

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

Have flown with turkish u will be finr ad doff said 90mins will be ok and the coffee shop in departurs is open

9. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 14:45
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Female Departing Mombasa at 4am. Safe?

I did it myself on Tuesday of last week and no problems whatsoever, actually from getting out at the airport to the gate took me all of 15 minutes including checks, I got there at 4.50am. Its actually safer driving through Mombasa this time of the night that in the daytime with the Matatus driving like maniacs.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa